Performer preference?

Doug Selman

TVWBB Super Fan
I've been watching CL for a good deal on a performer platinum (I know, along with everyone else;)). I'm interested in advice/suggestions/comments on the advantages and disadvantages between the older SS's and the newer version with the thermoplastic table?

I have the one with the plastic table, that I got in 2006. It still looks brand new, and has been uncovered for years.

The 2015 Performer has the hammered-metal table of the base 2013-14 Performer, but expanded and shaped like the old and newer Platinum. The lid bale/holder's diameter has been widened to accommodate the lid 90 degrees to the bowl. Those are some nice improvements for the new Performer, but since they're just beginning rolling them out it'll be awhile before they start showing up on Craigslist.

I have a 2009 C&B gas-assist Performer with the old thermoset table that's perfect for us. It's our main go-to grill for all cooks under 1 hr. Best Craigslist bargain I've ever had. :cool:

the SS versions are visually appealing, but they're big and the charcoal bin lid opens up from the top so you can't really have food on it when you're opening it. i never seemed to have food out when i'm just starting up the coals so it was a non issue. but the size was the killer for me as i have a smaller patio. it's just big. so if you have a large area it's a non issue.

the newer plastic top ones are smaller in overall dimensions and the charcoal bin pulls out from the side which is cool because it doesn't interfere with the surface accessing coal. this wasn't really an issue for me anyway as said above.

the newer version has a number of excellent upgrades. the larger lid bail, the metal table surface and most of all (for me) the higher table/kettle height. i'm tall so that was a nice plus.

never the less i just prefer the good ole fashioned 22.5 kettle with standard tri-pod configuration. that's my personal preference due to my smaller area to keep them and want/need to use more than one at a time to cook in that smaller area.

My 2006 Performer with the thermoset table and gas assist is my go-to grill & smoker. I prefer thermoset to stainless and also like the way the charcoal bin pulls out from the side.

How tall are you? The newer Performers are higher than the old SS table ones.

I'm about 5'11", the main reason I was considering an SS is the cart would basicly match my '92 Genny, especially if I found a Red one. But I don't care for the idea of having to lift the table to access the control or bin. I do like the features of the newer version.

I have a 90's ss performer and a 13 performer platinum. I'm 5'11" and the ss performer is a little to low for me.

I have a thermo top performer and I'm 6' and find the height just fine. I also like the swing out charcoal container which I use to store my smoking wood.

I've been watching CL for a good deal on a performer platinum (I know, along with everyone else;)). I'm interested in advice/suggestions/comments on the advantages and disadvantages between the older SS's and the newer version with the thermoplastic table?

My feeling is no matter what year or style as long you get a performer you will love it,I have a thermo table model and it is very good.

For me the SS Performer is my favorite. I don't much care for the looks of the thermoset table, after the stainless it looks like a downgrade.
It doesn't take much effort to make a couple of platforms if you find it too low for you.

I have a SS that I pulled off Craigslist on the cheap.. The charcoal door does not bother me, as there is table before the door. The height doesn't bother me as I'm 5'4. BUT.. bending over that kettle for hours at a time scrubbing all the carbon out, kills my back! I plan on buying a Mojoe Griddle from Cam Stone ( member here) in 2 weeks, and plan on the SS to be it's home.

Back