Performer grill for sale, what is it worth?

Elizbeth B

TVWBB Member
This Performer is for sale in my area. The seller says it's in perfect shape and without rust. I see some rust on the bottom wire shelf, damage on one of the wheels, and the grate looks pretty rough, rusty and bent. Would like some ideas as to what a fair price would be. They are asking $150.

What should come with it, that may not be visible in the photos?

Thanks

:cool::confused:

Last edited:
They're $300 new and if I had to choose between paying $300 for new and $150 for that, I'd buy that. I'd ask for $25 off so I could buy a new top grate, the worst that could happen is they say no

I bought the exact same one at an estate sale in better condition for $50, but that was in late fall not the peak of the grilling season. I still think $150 is a little high.
If it's CL I would wait and see if it moves, if not I would offer $100 if you really want it or wait for another one to pop up.
They really are great grills.

Here in Metro Atlanta that is about average price to maybe even slightly below average for one with a working Touch-N-Go gas ignition in that condition that you will find on CL this time of year. In fact I just looked and one is listed for $250 (which will be there for a while at that price) and another for $150 that included cover, extra gas bottles and charcoal. Doesn't mean you can't find one for less, but it is going to be hard to do here. If it doesn't have a gas ignition or a working gas ignition, then it is definitely a little high. I would make sure they are including the baskets and cover shown in the pictures in the price.

$50 would be a steal and not a fair price if sold on the open market. $100 to $150 is more realistic. $100 maybe a winter price and closer to $150 for peak grilling season. I'd buy it at whatever price you can get it for up to $150. Maybe negotiate for any extras (chimney, etc.) that are available.

As long as brand new is $300 or more it should hold it's value at $100-$150 for quite a while.

- grate is funky
- wheel damaged
- rust on wire shelf
- table top stained and may not come clean (looks like a rust stain)

+ has cover
+ 2nd gen Performer
+ I think I see the charcoal baskets

! check ash sweep for functionality

I would offer $75 max and I would be prepared to walk away from that one.
A nicer one that received better care will show up.

I posted a looking for ad when I was after my performer...a nice senior citizen who had purchased one new and failed miserably cooking on it a few times was trying to figure out what to sell it for and came across my ad. He told me he'd used it 5 times and asked me to make an offer I thought was fair...I told him I'd buy it for $175 cash that same afternoon if it was as clean as he said it was. When I went to get it you could still see the reflection on the inside of the bowl. He threw in a chimney, 2 bags of charcoal and a 4 pack of Coleman propane bottles he'd bought with it after I offered to drive to Lowes 3 blocks from his house to help him bring a new gasser home in my truck and then would only take $150 from me when we got back.

The moral of the story is that if you post a looking for ad you might get lucky, just don't settle for something that isn't great.

He threw in a chimney, 2 bags of charcoal and a 4 pack of Coleman propane bottles he'd bought with it after I offered to drive to Lowes 3 blocks from his house to help him bring a new gasser home in my truck and then would only take $150 from me when we got back.

That's the coolest thing I've read, on so many levels, in a long time!

Back