Performer Gas Assist Rust where tank goes

Brian B Atlanta

TVWBB Gold Member
Am doing a gas assist performer for a friend that he brought to me. Looking for some advice when I unscrewed the small tank still works by the way there was rust on the threads on the tank as well as where it screws into the regulator. On the tank took a fine wire brush to remove most of the rust but I was thinking of putting a bit on 3-1 oil on the reg threads as well as the tank. I wouldn't think it would bother anything allows the tank to come off easier the next time just wondering what you guys or gals think.

That sounds like it would work. Maybe soak it pretty well with the oil. Let it sit awhile, wipe off, then do it a couple more times....wiping it off one last time, maybe letting it dry out a few days before screwing tank back on.
For the little disposable tank, I'd just buy a new one. Rust attracts rust, so just start fresh on that end. Those tanks are cheap enough.

Oil on propane tank threads may or may not be a good idea, I seem to recall something about that years ago. I could be wrong. Maybe wax?

Thanks guy I ended up using some 3/1 oil on a rag just a small amount wiped on the tank threads only about half way up did not put anything on the regulator female threads. Wiped the threads down with a clean rag, should be fine the threads for those tanks are pretty fine would never do that on a 20 lb tank.

We fired it up last night nothing blew up or leaked.

Back