Pepper Stout Beef Questions

Tim Mulvihill

TVWBB Fan
My apologies ahead of time if this was already answered. Also, thank you to Larry for posting the pepper stout beef instructions, I'm excited to try this for the first time!

I understand that the food is done when its done, but I was looking for some general guidleines to figure out a time schedule so dinner isn't done at 1 PM or 11 PM. Also, if its done an hour or two early, would it dry out if I left it covered in the oven at 160 or so?

Once the roast hits 165º, place into pan directly on top of vegetable mixture and cover tightly with foil. - - About how long will it take for the chuck roast to hit 165 internal on a 250 degree grill?

Cook roast in smoker or oven at 350º for 2.5-3hrs or until roast is fork tender. - - I'm good on this part

Once meat is tender, shred all of the meat in the liquid and mix thoroughly and continue to cook until the liquid reduces by half. - - About how long will this take?

Thanks ahead of time! :wsm:

I've only done it once, but if I remember right getting to 165 took about as long as it does for a brisket, around 3-4 hours.

Reducing the liquid takes another hour or so, and it doesn't *really* matter. It's just concentrating the flavor of the juice.

I made it for a party, and I found that it held indefinitely on the warm setting of my crock pot. No way it will dry out, it's sitting in a liquid bath. As long as you're not really cooking the meat any more you'll be fine.

If you want it for dinner, start it in the morning. If you want it for lunch, get up really early. Figure roughly 8 hours for the full cook, and if you get done early just hold it.

Oh, and be REALLY careful with the meat shredding if you're using a disposable foil pan. If you poke a hole in the pan you're going to have a giant mess. It might be worth pulling the meat out of the liquid to shred then putting it back in when it's shredded.

Last edited:
Oh, and be REALLY careful with the meat shredding if you're using a disposable foil pan. If you poke a hole in the pan you're going to have a giant mess. It might be worth pulling the meat out of the liquid to shred then putting it back in when it's shredded.

Excellent point.....been there , done that , got the T-shirt. :cool:

It usually takes 2-3 hours to get to 165 when cooking it at 325-350. I usually just pan it and foil it after 2 hrs and don't worry about the internal temperature. After shredding it takes 2-3 hours to reduce the liquid to where I want it. Total cook I'm usually looking at 6-8 hours.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice!

I was going to use a Pyrex 13x9 when I take off the smoker and place it on the bed of vegetables to go in the oven.

That may or may not be deep enough.

If I were you, I'd get a high-sided 13x9 foil pan to put in that Pyrex. I can just see you sloshing liquid all over the place trying to get it in and out of the oven.

Definitely get the higher pan as the juices will expand quite a bit from the vegetables and meat juices. Also I foil when I get a nice bark I like not by internal as said above. Good luck, it's a great dish

Back