Pecan shells for smoking..

Mike Willsey

TVWBB Member
A friend gave me a shoebox of pecan shells to use for smoking Q. I will use chicken with no seasoning to highlight the taste of the pecan smoke. I can always season after cooking. I've often heard pecan shells did a good job of smoking Q.

Let us know how they work and how you prepare them for the fire (foil pouch?). I don't see any pecan wood up here in MI, but a light smoke with the shells might be nice.

Mike--I use pecan wood when I smoke turkeys,butts, etc., but I use pecan shells when I cook steaks (some steakhouses use pecan wood in their wood fired grills). I just soak a handful of them for 15-20 minutes, strain and shake the water off, and put them on the coals on the Weber grill just before putting on the steak--EXCELLENT!! You can use them on longer cooks if you don't have pecan wood, but you will have to keep adding them as they do not last too long.

Tom

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jerry N.:
Let us know how they work and how you prepare them for the fire (foil pouch?). I don't see any pecan wood up here in MI, but a light smoke with the shells might be nice. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I always foil my hickory so I'll probably do the same. Probably crush them a bit with the hammer too. Pecans grow all over down here in the Carolinas, so they're easy to get here.

I have used pecan hulls in the past when my friend with the tree has a bumper crop. I really like them as they absorb more water than wood due to the porousity of them. They smoke longer.
A well known Q palce outside of Austin,Tx called the Salt Lick used them for their main smoke(don't know if they still do). Side benny was some great pecan pie!

When we were visiting friends in Arizona, we noticed some large pecan groves. I wanted some wood, but the office we went to said no. There were piles of pecan shells and they said we could take what we wanted. They even provided a box.

I finally used some of them last week when cooking chicken. They were nice. They had a mild taste and were good on chicken. I used two fistfuls. Wish they gave us a bigger box..tom

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pat Barnes:
snip
Side benny was some great pecan pie! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is there such a thing as a bad pecan pie? I think not!

Tonights the night for smoking with the pecan hulls, Walmart had spare ribs (no foil, ever!) for $1.88/LB plus I grabbed some chicken wings to boot.

Gonna start cooking about Midnight, while I mow the yard! I'm also gonna do a third seasoning to my cast iron dutch oven tonight. Got a busy night ahead of me!

Poor choice of words re pecan pie!!!

Mowing at midnight? You must have good headlights and nice neighbors. Did you promise them Q?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pat Barnes:
Poor choice of words re pecan pie!!!

Mowing at midnight? You must have good headlights and nice neighbors. Did you promise them Q? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

he, he, none too near, the closest works third like me. they only get q if they help!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jerry N.:
Let us know how they work and how you prepare them for the fire (foil pouch?). I don't see any pecan wood up here in MI, but a light smoke with the shells might be nice. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I like!, I like!, nice light smoke flavor compared to hickory or oak. I gonna smoke meatloaf with what I have left. Make for a nice variety of flaovr and, Yes, wrap shells in foil.

As a 35 year shiftwork veteran(USAF,Exxon,DuPont) do you mean you are working midnight-8AM? Neevr heard the term 3rds. I worked 8 hour shifts 1/3s until around 1975 when we went on 12s 'til i hung it up in '03. Never worked straight days for more than a month
in my life.

As a 35 year shiftwork veteran(USAF,Exxon,DuPont) do you mean you are working midnight-8AM? Neevr heard the term 3rds. I worked 8 hour shifts 1/3s until around 1975 when we went on 12s 'til i hung it up in '03. Never worked straight days for more than a month
in my life. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In manufacturing the shifts are called 1st (days), 2nd (evenings), and 3rd (my hours are 11:00PM-7:00AM)

Mike,
I highly reccommend the meatloaf cook. I did one with oak last week(first time) and it turned out great. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I do meatloaf all the time but not with pecan, this will be my first meatloaf using pecan shells.

Back