Pastrami

Larry Wolfe

Closed Account
I bought a corned beef brisket flat, well at least that's what they call a flat. It actually had a point that was just about the same size as the flat! No biggie, so I separated them and soaked in water for 3 hours, changing the water every hour. Then coated them with fresh ground coriander seeds, fresh cracked pepper and a good amount of granulated garlic.

Fired up the Primo Junior with Royal Oak and two small hickory chunks. D-plates in position, piece of heavy duty aluminum foil to catch the drippage. Set the Digi Q at 225*, 6 hours later I had pastrami! Very very good! Best one I've made!

I'm just getting to know my WSM, and I gave the corned been / pastrami recipe a try Saturday evening, too. I've followed several of the other member's posts saying theirs turned out too salty, and I should have soaked longer and changed the water more often. I soaked my c.b. brisket 1.5 hours but only changed the water at the 30 minute marks. The finished product has an awesome mix of smoke, pepper and coriander, but the base meat flavor is almost hammy. If I didn't know what I'd thrown on the smoker, I'd really think it was some kind of pepper smoked ham. I can't complain because I like ham and the meat is delicious, but next time I'll soak longer and change the water more frequently to remove more salt. Fortunately I grabbed two small c.b. briskets at the store so I'll be trying again soon!

EDIT: P.S. I need to try taking some pictures. The meat and sammies look awesome, Larry!

Back