Pair of ATV wheels/tires/axle: for your offroad grill

RobSmith

TVWBB Member
I bought this setup for my Spirit II grill (E-310). I need to drag my grill across a little rough ground to get to my cooking spot, and the OEM hard plastic wheels are just aggravating and get stuck on small bumps.

Bigger, air filled, rubber tires seemed like the answer; and it was! Once I got these on my grill, I could pull the Spirit like a preacher in a gospel church!

Recently, I got rid of the Spirit though - and got a Genesis. I'd love to do the same setup on the Genesis but it has 4 caster wheels, which makes it tough.

So if you have a two wheel grill, and want to modify it to ride better over rough terrain, this may be your answer.

2 Wheels, Axel, 4 collars included. Axel is 26" long.

I paid about $65 for everything, a month ago. It's all in like new condition.

Will sell for $40 + shipping (actual)

Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 9.05.05 AM.png4EE48BC1-AF91-4FE4-999D-81A0D7863367.jpegF4770CE2-DADE-4679-B3EC-D5427A93B251.jpeg46ADEDE8-EEC0-4C25-B89E-D38FD18412C9.jpeg787F50EF-91FA-462B-A4E7-E0BD68874690_1_201_a.jpegADC4A19C-2AE3-4F28-B97E-F9BEE38A7F2A.jpeg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 9.02.50 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 9.02.50 AM.png
    179.1 KB · Views: 2
I'd love to do the same setup on the Genesis but it has 4 caster wheels, which makes it tough.

What if you added a sub-frame under the Genesis to make room for the larger tires? I was thinking square bar stock bolted up into the factory caster location. If it extended out to the right a few inches the larger wheels would clear the frame. If it was full-length left to right you'd get the strength of two mounts into the existing frame.

What if you added a sub-frame under the Genesis to make room for the larger tires? I was thinking square bar stock bolted up into the factory caster location. If it extended out to the right a few inches the larger wheels would clear the frame. If it was full-length left to right you'd get the strength of two mounts into the existing frame.
Food for thought, Dan! Imma have to go out and look around underneath the Genesis now and see if that's something I want to tackle :)
Note: The Genesis seems about 100 pounds heavier than the Spirit, so wheeling it around like a cart isn't going to be near as easy, unless I move the cart wheels closer to the center...

Ok, that helps. Here is what I think I'd do.

If a slight increase in overall height is OK, maybe add a sub frame, extended on the right side for the larger wheels.

Mount the Left side caster to the bottom of the square tubing and level it off with shims or washers as needed.

I haven't thought through the left side very much. The side table will probably bend if you try to lift the grill. Either reinforce it, or maybe use something like a trailer dolly and fab up a mount on the left hand side so the dolly can lift the casters up and then you can pull it across your lawn with ease.

1664228372647.png

Trust me, dragging that grill back and forth over a lawn is going to seriously shorten it's life. It's barely constructed to sit in one place and be ok for the long haul. I would pick out a good spot for it and leave it there.

Ok, that helps. Here is what I think I'd do.

If a slight increase in overall height is OK, maybe add a sub frame, extended on the right side for the larger wheels.

Mount the Left side caster to the bottom of the square tubing and level it off with shims or washers as needed.

I haven't thought through the left side very much. The side table will probably bend if you try to lift the grill. Either reinforce it, or maybe use something like a trailer dolly and fab up a mount on the left hand side so the dolly can lift the casters up and then you can pull it across your lawn with ease.

View attachment 60208
Thanks Dan, Sent you a PM

Trust me, dragging that grill back and forth over a lawn is going to seriously shorten it's life. It's barely constructed to sit in one place and be ok for the long haul. I would pick out a good spot for it and leave it there.
Hey Steve.
I'm sure you're right, esp when using the stock running gear on any of these grills.

Me and the GF have ONE place that I could put the grill permanently - but it's a little close to the house for my comfort, and would block some light coming into a window. Still - I agree that grills aren't made to roll around.

I've already made a ton of consessions WRT my grillabilities. What's one more?

Thanks again for the input.

Maybe, but what if the frame had cross braces. use the Bruce-style repair with nutserts if you don't have a welder. That alone would be really twisty, but with the legs of the grill mounted at four corners I think the frame would hold up just fine. And, air-down the tires for a softer ride over bumps.

1664231388798.png

Maybe, but what if the frame had cross braces. use the Bruce-style repair with nutserts if you don't have a welder. That alone would be really twisty, but with the legs of the grill mounted at four corners I think the frame would hold up just fine. And, air-down the tires for a softer ride over bumps.

View attachment 60212
If you could "soften" the ride and didn't have to move it by holding on to the tables it could work.

You could always leave the grill as is and get a suitable hand truck to ferry it about. That way, you leave the grill pristine, gain a hand truck for other uses, and protect the integrity of the grill's structure as much as possible.

You would probably need a block of wood or something on the hand truck to engage the grill's frame and get the wheels off the ground.

Still trying to sell my Big Wheel/Axel setup from my Spirit days...

$40 guys!

Attachments

• ADC4A19C-2AE3-4F28-B97E-F9BEE38A7F2A.jpeg
    ADC4A19C-2AE3-4F28-B97E-F9BEE38A7F2A.jpeg
    179.5 KB · Views: 0
Still trying to sell my Big Wheel/Axel setup from my Spirit days...

$40 guys!
Looks good. Let us know how it works out. I would hold on to them until you are really happy with your "first try". Probably sell them easier in the spring / summer anyway.

I bought this setup for my Spirit II grill (E-310). I need to drag my grill across a little rough ground to get to my cooking spot, and the OEM hard plastic wheels are just aggravating and get stuck on small bumps.

Bigger, air filled, rubber tires seemed like the answer; and it was! Once I got these on my grill, I could pull the Spirit like a preacher in a gospel church!

Recently, I got rid of the Spirit though - and got a Genesis. I'd love to do the same setup on the Genesis but it has 4 caster wheels, which makes it tough.

So if you have a two wheel grill, and want to modify it to ride better over rough terrain, this may be your answer.

2 Wheels, Axel, 4 collars included. Axel is 26" long.

I paid about $65 for everything, a month ago. It's all in like new condition.

Will sell for $40 + shipping (actual)

View attachment 60188View attachment 60191View attachment 60192View attachment 60193View attachment 60194View attachment 60190
Looks like it could do wheelies now!

Back