Paint Crinkling

Richard in NS

TVWBB Wizard
What causes the paint to crinkle like this? Only appeared on the second coat. Too short or long between coats? I used two different brands of paint but it did not do it everywhere. I also used primer on a few areas but did not get this on the first coat. 820A6058-A5CA-4C14-8E87-0935D97DB064.jpeg

I build a lot of static models as a hobby, airplanes, ships and such. I have run into this on more than a few occasions. And in each time it was caused by contamination on the surface that I was painting. Oils, release agents or something like that. Even oils from my hands from handling. Can’t say for certain that is what happened to you, but that would be my guess.

I build a lot of static models as a hobby, airplanes, ships and such. I have run into this on more than a few occasions. And in each time it was caused by contamination on the surface that I was painting. Oils, release agents or something like that. Even oils from my hands from handling. Can’t say for certain that is what happened to you, but that would be my guess.
Chuck, if it didn’t happen on the first coat would that mean it had to become contaminated before the second coat? If so it would have had to come from me handling them. I hung the disassembled pieces outside to paint them and at the end of the day I took them down and brought them in the house. Two days later I took them outside and painted them again.

Paint incompatibility, the top coat lifted the base coat. You have to sand it off and start over, one was lacquer and one was enamel. I forget which way it goes but one won't lift the other in reverse order.

Paint incompatibility, the top coat lifted the base coat. You have to sand it off and start over, one was lacquer and one was enamel. I forget which way it goes but one won't lift the other in reverse order.
I kind of thought it might be something like that John. I used Krylon on the low heat areas of the frame and Tremclad on the high heat areas because the Krylon high heat comes out brown. I think it is where they overlap that the crinkling happens. Looks like I will be getting out the sandpaper and try to fix it. Thanks.

I remember now, Krylon is lacquer and Rustoleum is enamel. Krylon dries pretty fast but is susceptible to attack. I made the same mistake when I was a kid, I wanted a really nice final coat but ran out of Krylon so I used Rustoleum and right in front of my eyes the paint started lifting.:cry: No internet back then, I had to talk to a paint guy.

Yup, literally lifted off as I sprayed it on. Unfortunately you cannot get the black Rustoleum high heat Ultra in Canada anymore. I will just use high heat Tremclad for everything when I repaint it. Tremclad is owned by Rustoleum but unfortunately it is $18 a can and my experience on other projects showed it drys to a soft finish that does not wear well. 🙁

Try an automotive store, they might have a high heat header paint that is ceramic based. It only comes in flat colors. :( Engine paint is not as heat resistant but comes in semi gloss colors.

Had the same problem when I was painting my frame. Ended up having to sand most of the paint off and respraying everything with the Trimclad high heat gloss. Even then, I still had some trouble spots reappear that needed to be sanded again and repainted. Eventually, after a few coats, it seemed to turn out okay.

Where and how can you tell looking at the can that the krylon is lacquer ?

Not disagreeing or debating, just trying to learn?

If I have already painted something with the Krylon HH Max six months ago? do I need to sand it all off and start over?

Lacquer dries pretty fast, enamels have to cure so they are slower. Krylon HH might not be lacquer because of the heat resistance. When in doubt try to use the same paint.

Back