Overdue

Looks good! I've used his recipe 4 times now and it always works, esp since i already have a jar of Prague#1.

I've been doing 2.0% salt, 1.5%sugar and .25% cure#1, lately if you want a cure#1 method and don't have tenderquick available. It's much simpler than the amazing ribs approach. Bob's method is the easiest although for my taste you will need to soak your slab a little longer to pull some salt out after the cure. I've got a slab curing right now and I'll probably smoke it tomorrow.

I've been doing 2.0% salt, 1.5%sugar and .25% cure#1, lately if you want a cure#1 method and don't have tenderquick available. It's much simpler than the amazing ribs approach. Bob's method is the easiest although for my taste you will need to soak your slab a little longer to pull some salt out after the cure. I've got a slab curing right now and I'll probably smoke it tomorrow.
I'm a rookie at this. I never tried the dried cured method or Bob's ( because I don't have TQ, but a jar of #1)
Is the dry cure easier/foolproof then Meatheads wet cure?

I'm a rookie at this. I never tried the dried cured method or Bob's ( because I don't have TQ, but a jar of #1)
Is the dry cure easier/foolproof then Meatheads wet cure?

I should have noted that I don't add the water called for in MH's recipe. By the time that slab is done curing, there is plenty of liquid in there. I just mix everything else up, and apply it as if it were a dry rub.

I had temps between 180 and 200 and got 3 hours in before reaching 140F. Bagged it and put into an ice bath for about 30minutes. It is now resting in the fridge and I hope to slice and vac seal tomorrow.
3DB33042-7C1F-43A9-8127-BC68C0D73B62.jpeg

69EAC1C1-6785-40F6-B8A2-B2E11372EF06.jpeg

44741D8B-DC86-43B8-98A9-A012FC6236ED.jpeg

I wasn't remotely trying to criticize, just saying what I do. That bacon looks phenomenal! What meathead is trying to avoid is an uneven cure by adding the water. I haven't found that it matters as I've not had a hotspot. Today could be my first time!

Following the Meatheads method, do percentages of salt, sugar, cure change because you omit water?
I should have noted that I don't add the water called for in MH's recipe. By the time that slab is done curing, there is plenty of liquid in there. I just mix everything else up, and apply it as if it were a dry rub.

When you go to a wet cure the calculations change to percentages of the fluid and salinity and what not. I don't really know how to do it but they talk about it in the Marianski book extensively. The Meathead method isn't doing this. The levels seem more like a dry brine. He's putting very little water in though. It's just there to disperse the salt and cure evenly it seems. When I dry cure bacon it pulls out enough liquid to effectively do the same thing like Jim says.

Nice looking bacon Jim. I just replenished my bacon stash a few weeks ago for winter. Did a full slab on the camp chef, got 51 vacuum bags with six slices in each bag. Plus a few bags of chunks and pieces for beans and such.

These are my favorite bags when I make bacon, Rich! You should make a batch of bacon fried rice with some of the diced up ends.....heavenly! :)
That sounds good, I did a 3.5 lb piece that I cured for 21 days using Bob's classic recipe... Life just go super busy and it brined longer then originally planned, but after an extra long rinse I cooked it this past Friday night and keep the temp down at 150 and got 5 plus hour in until I pushed it to above 180 and pulled it at 145. It is the best batch I have done yet. I got a bag of ends and bits, I was thinking potato soup, but fried rice with bacon sounds even better.
I keep thinking that I need to try other curing methods, but I still got a lot of Tenderquick and it is working and we love it, so why change...

These are my favorite bags when I make bacon, Rich! You should make a batch of bacon fried rice with some of the diced up ends.....heavenly! :)
That's interesting you brought up the fried rice, I've got a couple of recipes for bacon fried rice I'm going to try. One is for the instant pot, my new winter toy. Going to try that one first.

I just took some of my 'old' bacon out of the freezer last night to make some Bolognese (no Pancetta in the house). It was freezer burned when I smoked it, so it isn't good to eat on it's own, but works well in certain scenarios. I thought about using some for some fried rice tonight.

Looks terrific Jim. Love the color. I pulled out half a slab from the freezer last month. Then I didn't get to it for a few more days while resting in the fridge. Got ready to do my rinse and I cut open the vac. sealed bag and the smell was awful. Almost rancid. My wife agreed and I tossed it. That's my bacon story! :oops:

Back