Opinion on mop for Pork Butts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pat Trammell

TVWBB Fan
Could anyone give me their experience on using a mop for Pork Butts in their WSM? It does not seem that it would be necessary to add any moisture, and I am dubious as to whether it would add any appreciable taste. Can anyone give me insight on whether they mop, and if so what type mop they use?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Mopping won't add moisture but it will add layers of flavor. Spices as they cook change, and when you add them, can change the outcome of the end product.
Example mustard, if you coat with mustard and then rub, when the cook is over you won't taste mustard but it is involved in the final taste print, everything you put on the meat will be involved.
Jim

Good point Jim, thanks. I have sprayed with a mixture of apple juice, vinegar and water. I'm four hours into a BRITU rub on a 6 pounder. Any feedback on your experience with different mops? Also, do you find that a mop affects the "bark" to any great degree?

I believe the standard wisdom dictates to not start mopping until at least halfway through the estimated cooking time, then halfway to the end, then halfway again, etc. You get the idea.

Watch your temp pretty close. That BRITU rub uses a lot of brown sugar and it'll start to blacken on you at any temp over 275.

Try putting your mop in a spray bottle as well. It certainly saves time with the dome off.

Darren
Your right the halves is the way to go, mopping based on the recipe should add to the bark, and you you would want find something that goes well with BRITU, apple juice is good as Darren says.
Jim

As we speak I am cooking out two pork shoulders in freezing rain/snow mix since 10 pm last nigh. I enjoy the southern succor mop in the Renowned Mr Brown recipie from smoke and spice (also on the lets cook page) though I think its a bit heavy on the pepper. It is my experience that the bark has a nicely layered flavor when I use this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back