Opinion?? Dry rub or marinated flank steak?

I typically dry rub flank steak but am thinking of marinating instead. Any opinions?
i've marinated it in zinfandel wine overnight and then montreal seasoning (any dry rub with salt) onto it for an hour at room temp before grilling it. i also do this same process on tri-tips. the wine is an acid which penetrates the meat easily and then the rub is flavor on top of the wine. served with grilled asparagus and real garlic toast (crushed garlic into butter/evoo and fresh chopped italian parsley, in a saucepan and cooked very low to infuse the garlic into the fats/oils) then brush on top of grilled bread (costco baguettes sliced open face). a small amount of wine goes a long way so no need to drown the flank in a bottle of wine. a glass or two is more than enough.

I find any wine or beer marinade is too much personally. I stopped that years ago. Last time flank I used a tequila marinade. It had olive oil in it cumin and a few other flavors that were more common. Now I have only started using flank recently and I love it. It came recommended almost everywhere I looked to use a wet marinade as the steak is fairly tough. The marinade it was said helps with this also piercing holes in the steak to help the marinade penetrate. So while I have never dry rubbed one I believe wet is the way to go. The correct cooking and slicing helps make it turn out perfect of course. So I am far from a flank expert but the cut itself has lots of flavor, I am a big fan of it and put a bunch in the freezer. Taco's have never been the same. Does anyone just eat it on a plate like a strip loin?

I found this marinade on Carlsbadcraving.com. Going to try it tonight.

1 1/2 -2 pounds flank steak
1/2 cup olive oil
1/3 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 TBS EACH onion powder, garlic powder
1 tsp EACH paprika, pepper, red pepper flakes, dried dill weed
1/2 tsp EACH dried oregano, dried rosemary, ground coriander

will try to remember to add pictures…..

I do Bloody Mary Marinated Flank Steak, using Guy Fieri’s recipe, grilled over charcoal.

Attachments

• BC386A20-9EF5-49AC-86F1-F06CFA53246E.jpeg
    BC386A20-9EF5-49AC-86F1-F06CFA53246E.jpeg
    321.9 KB · Views: 11
  • D9539334-0BE4-4E3B-A6BA-62EFF3605A30.jpeg
    D9539334-0BE4-4E3B-A6BA-62EFF3605A30.jpeg
    158.5 KB · Views: 11
I found this marinade on Carlsbadcraving.com. Going to try it tonight.

1 1/2 -2 pounds flank steak
1/2 cup olive oil
1/3 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 TBS EACH onion powder, garlic powder
1 tsp EACH paprika, pepper, red pepper flakes, dried dill weed
1/2 tsp EACH dried oregano, dried rosemary, ground coriander

will try to remember to add pictures…..
Going to copy this one looks pretty good to me. Let us know what you think of it.

Good Season's zesty Italian makes a great flavorful marinade take the dry mix and add vinegar and oil etc. as per instructions I use canola oil . I use this Good Seasons as a marinade sometimes for striploins ads a little extra flavour unfortunately haven't had any since the border closure as it is only available in USA . In my opinion a flank steak definately needs a liquid marinade use Good Seasons with a touch of lime juice to kick it up a notch as Emerald lagasse would say .

Last edited:
Good Season's zesty Italian makes a great flavorful marinade take the dry mix and add vinegar and oil etc. as per instructions , I use canola oil . I use this Good Seasons as a marinade for striploins ads a little extra , unfortunately haven't had any since the border closure as it is only available in USA .
I use the GS to marinade veggies, mushroom, and chicken.

For years I've used the flank steak marinade recipe in the Weber cookbook that came with my grill.

4 oz Olive or veg oil
3 oz Soy sauce
2 oz Vinegar (red wine or balsamic)
1 oz Lemon juice
0.5 oz W'shire sauce
2 tsp Dijon mustard
Minced garlic
Black pepper

I also work the flank steak over with the Jaccard meat tenderizer before marinating.

Don't make it nearly as often as I used to. Like a lot of formerly "budget" cuts, flank has gotten much more popular and expensive over the years.

Last edited:
Either, or....
I mainly marinade (SE Asian style), but somtimes a rub.
Marinades are sometimes very liquid, sometimes more like a paste.
Whatever floats my boat that day ;)

I don't really measure, but I use around 1/2 cup zesty Italian dressing & 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce.

Marinate overnight.

Back