Open vs Closed Cart- 05 Genesis Silver B

RobertJohnson

I have just about wrapped up the mechanical end of my 05 Genesis Silver B rehab. Firebox and burners all cleaned and installed, but now I was thinking of whether I should continue putting the panels and doors back on or am I better to leave it open cart. The side panels need some work, so that is a factor and was looking to see if there was any after market or DIY options. The OEM panel parts are way to expensive. The other option is, just leave the cart open and grill away.

I was not sure if there was a benefit one way or the other. Thanks for the help!

I would leave it open. If the bottom panel is in good shape, then you are good. But if you leave the bottom panel off, you will probably have to add some kind of cross member support.

If the cabinet doesn't have much life left you can do something with common materials that you can scavenge to keep costs down.

Here is the basic idea. Whatever materials you have that fit your skill set, budget and aesthetics will do.

Add structural support between the 2 pillars. I use angle iron from bed frames. You can weld, screw or bolt them to attach to the pillars.

I drop composite decking into the angle iron to make a shelf. I use cutoffs that get thrown by contractors. IMG_2024.JPGIMG_2020.JPG

I would leave it open. If the bottom panel is in good shape, then you are good. But if you leave the bottom panel off, you will probably have to add some kind of cross member support.

The bottom try was not in the best shape. It was a little pitted and had 1 or 2 small spots that rusted through (filled with JB Weld high temp). I think it’ll last at least a few seasons and then I am assuming I’ll have to replace it.

If the cabinet doesn't have much life left you can do something with common materials that you can scavenge to keep costs down.

Here is the basic idea. Whatever materials you have that fit your skill set, budget and aesthetics will do.

Add structural support between the 2 pillars. I use angle iron from bed frames. You can weld, screw or bolt them to attach to the pillars.

I drop composite decking into the angle iron to make a shelf. I use cutoffs that get thrown by contractors. View attachment 1891View attachment 1892
FInally, someone went ahead and tried some composite decking. I have been waiting for that. It looks great. I would think that color would be very similar in color to the old Durawood as well.

FInally, someone went ahead and tried some composite decking. I have been waiting for that. It looks great. I would think that color would be very similar in color to the old Durawood as well.
I am not a big fan restoring wood. I appreciate the craftsmanship and the beauty of wood but it is not for me.
The durawood matches good with composite and some of the 2000's Genesis/Spirit plastic tables are a little darker than the pictured grills and match better.
You can paint or stain composite decking to match whatever color you want but it kind of defeats the low maintenance aspects of using it in the first place.
Or you could still use wood on the side and flip up tables on the old school grills and get a paint or stain to match a composite lower shelf.

That does look really nice :coolkettle: . I used Weber durawood slats on the bottom of my Genesis Platinum, but looking at those I kind of wish I had saved those for tray tables and used decking on my bottom instead. Maybe someday I will retrofit. I have also seen some composite decking that looks pretty good for "fake" wood and would definitely consider using for the tray tables, too.

Back