One Touch Platinum circa 2002

Kyle in Woodstock

TVWBB Guru
Wanted to share a recent pickup of mine even though I don't plan on keeping it. I thought someone with a similar style grill might be interested in the wood table that the former owner made for this one. He did a good job on it.

The guy was retired and he actually worked for my current employer which is kind of cool. He is the original owner and a year or so ago he built the wood table and cleaned up the grill for his daughter to use, but she moved into an apartment, so it's been sitting in his garage unused.

I'm in the middle of taking it all apart and cleaning it up. It's in better shape than I thought after first seeing it. The bowl and lid and in very good condition. No signs of corrosion or rusting except for the rivet on the lid damper, but it's not bad there.

The wire storage rack on the bottom needs a good scrub and I plan to hit it with some spray paint to freshen it up. Other than that, it's seems ready to roll. I've got the grates soaking in oven cleaner in a garbage bag now. Hoping they come clean. It doesn't appear this guy used this grill very often based in it's condition.

Here are some pictures. Ignore the wood handles, those are from another grill I got yesterday.

image003.jpgimage012.jpgimage005.jpgimage007.jpg20200323_211805_HDR.jpg20200323_211852.jpg
20200323_211910.jpg

Last edited:
He did do an unusually nice job. Looks classy, not cobbled together. I think if I were keeping or trying to flip that one I would paint those leg braces black that currently look to be white or very light gray. If you are willing to sacrifice one, with a wood handle on top it would be an extra sharp grill :coolkettle: !

He did do an unusually nice job. Looks classy, not cobbled together. I think if I were keeping or trying to flip that one I would paint those leg braces black that currently look to be white or very light gray. If you are willing to sacrifice one, with a wood handle on top it would be an extra sharp grill :coolkettle: !
Thanks for the suggestions Jon. I didn't think to paint the legs supports black, but that would probably look nice. I'm painting the wire rack and small tool holder piece black so might as well do those too.

And I agree it would look great with a wooden handle, but I'm going to save those for my keeper grills.

Got it pretty dang clean. I put a fresh coat of paint on the bottom wire rack and the tool holder, cleaned up everything else. And swaped on a better looking handle from a chimney. I ran out of black paint, so I didn't paint the leg braces....still not 100% sure I will do that.
I was thinking about taking the angle grinder to the inside of the bowl, but thought that might not be a good idea. It's not spakling clean, but looks good for a 2002 model.

20200325_162022.jpg20200325_162029.jpg20200325_162031.jpg20200325_162038.jpg20200325_162055.jpg20200325_162120.jpg20200325_162127.jpg20200325_162139.jpg

Kyle,
Definitely don't use an angle grinder on that kettle. However, with just Simple Green and a razor scraper, you can do an amazing job. With a little luck (and time) you can make it look shiny black again. Check out this link from our friends at the Weber Kettle Club:

Kyle,
Definitely don't use an angle grinder on that kettle. However, with just Simple Green and a razor scraper, you can do an amazing job. With a little luck (and time) you can make it look shiny black again. Check out this link from our friends at the Weber Kettle Club:

Thanks Jon. Is cleaning the bowl similar to cleaning the inside of a Genesis lid?

Yeah, pretty much since they are both porcelain coated steel. If you follow the steps in that WKC link I posted you will find it pretty easy to work around the fact that it is all curved. That's a really nice grill. A shiny inside (and a wooden handle :coolkettle: ) would be the crowning touch!

Ok, awesome. Just like the gasser lids! I got most of it off tonight. I’ll finish it off in the morning. Guess I ought to do the inside of the lid too.

Good thing is it makes it shine, but at the same time exposes some bad spots. Some minor rusting inside, but nothing bad enough to have gone through to the outside

F1449072-0A6A-4EF4-97EB-E52353B624F1.jpeg74D140F2-F367-4EDF-BE0D-6F7F0E0110E6.jpeg

It’s interesting to see what people do when they want to replace the plastic ones.
This is what I did:
6BF3FC27-A8B7-425B-9779-8AA77097E758.jpeg
100 year old cypress from the old Stroh’s brewery vats
7FBE8E62-98DF-4614-8016-77B7A0DBA956.jpeg
And for beverages,2CBD6769-861A-4E85-8B24-6DF28BDBF416.jpeg
It’s really good to have a buddy what is also a cabinetmaker with all the tools and can be paid back with a feast!

The patio bar was based on a really junky one (particleboard and contact paper) but it had decent hardware so, I went to visit my buddy and in a half a day it was re made in sycamore! The material all came from his scrap stack!

The “Over Performer” I designed and he’d been well paid for the job that the cypress came from that was just the investment in fasteners. I picked up the maroon 18.5 at a chance stop at a yard sale, upgraded the ash catcher and installed the hinge. By far the 22 is the workhorse (no, no interior pics, it’s been in use all winter with little chance to clean) I cover the bulk of the table in the winter but, ash blows under the thing and the table will get a good washing and refinish if fresh tung oil when it warms up.
Glad you guys like them!
Edit:
The thing that looks like an extra handle is a bowl scraper I made using a few pieces of scrap oak, can’t scratch and, I can use it pretty handily any time. My “Billy Bar” slips nicely between the strakes and is equally accessible.
I sent some of the cypress scrap to the guy in Indiana(?) who does the custom handles in exotics which I’ve only put on the 22. When I get it all cleaned up for the season I’ll try to remember to post them.

Last edited:
I hadn't even noticed it was a maroon 18" until you said so. That's pretty cool, don't see many colored kettles in that size. And I'm not sure I even knew they made an ash catcher in the 18" size.
Has to be really nice to have a friend with those skills and tools. One of my buddies makes custom furniture and I'm sure could do similar work, but he lives 2 hours away, so I don't see him often.

Yeah, the 18 matches my Genny 1000. I saved the legs, “just in case” I find another curb find deal but, I’m out of space in the garage and y wife would kill me. This summer, reorganizing parts and pretty much everything grill related is going to happen PDQ!
It is unbelievable to have known my friend almost fifty years, we are closer than my brothers and I are. He and I have played music together since 1975, we first met a couple years before that in high school. Extremely talented banjo player, he does do some furniture but he is really talented in “restoration” matching. He was commissioned to match some 100+ year old staircase and trim in a seriously fancy “members only” club. You cannot tell what was original and what is new.
He also is a very dear friend, when I got my new fridge (that SHOULD have fit) he came over and recut the cabinet and hooked up my gas range on very short notice! He’s a great guy!

Spent a little more time cleaning this one. Got the inside of the lid to have that mirror clean shine. Bowl isn’t too shabby either. Swapped out the lid bale nuts and bolts for stainless steel ones.

B71AFAA4-57E5-4F89-B08B-B0C070794015.jpeg88FB056B-20ED-460C-9173-B5D2C69D8CB9.jpeg84CC3EE4-B853-4391-A689-A7D65008D461.jpegD9A8A5BA-9E5E-4353-9DAC-1723284241D7.jpeg

I’ll post some pictures up tomorrow when it’s all back together. Waiting for the paint to dry on the leg braces. Painted them black on Jons recommendation. That’ll make it look like a big bad black grilling machine!
Going to throw on FB tomorrow. Going to hold steady at $150 and see what happens.

Back