Old School

Antonio Silva

Old fart here that finally broke down and bought a 18.5 WSM.
My reason for buying this brand is because I've had a Weber grill that's been bullet proof for a lot of years.
Like the Weber quality. (y)
What I need now is a thermometer that I can stick into the meat without lifting the lid. Something that could utilize that port thingie.
Thing is:
I don't want any blue tooth. Don't want any batteries.
Just want something that sticks in the meat through that port and shows the temp.
Is that possible ?
Or do I have to go with a battery operated Thermometer?
Any and all help in keeping me low tech is most greatly appreciated.
Tony...

I’m fairly sure that you will have to end up with some sort of battery unit, they are not all that expensive. Mine has lasted me five years with maybe three battery changes. It’s a Maverick Thermo pro, TP-08. I really like it, but make sure to get a second set of probes, they are the weak link. I will admit I’ve only replaced them twice but, I will always make sure to have a spare set, just like a spare set of camera batteries, cheap and first line of possible failure.

Sounds like you don't want/need anything with blue tooth, wifi, smart phone app, etc.

But you actually do want a little bit of tech for this, just not hi-tech.

So a battery operated base unit with 2 probes (one for food; one for ambient temp). The probes can go through the WSM rubber port just fine. But almost everyone on here will tell you that you're much better off to forget about the port. Do the notch/slot. Or just run the wires under the lid without a notch/slot.

And you really do want to have a second handheld unit connecting via RF to the base. When you are doing a long cook, it gets tedious to have to keep go outside many dozens of times just to see where the temps are. You really want to be able to do that from inside.

Lots of good ones that are not expensive. Maverick, ThermoPro, ThermoWorks, etc.

I'm a big fan of the Maverick XR-50, I have two. They have been great, and are a great value for the money. I also have a Thermoworks signal, but you're talking a bit more cash there. You will also need a thermometer probe for checking meat temps after/between cooking, although the Thermoworks Thermapen is the top of the line, the Thermapro is a great value for the buck. Hope this helps.

Charlie

Thanks very much for your help gentlemen.
Sounds like you don't want/need anything with blue tooth, wifi, smart phone app, etc.
Sorry I'm not very tech savvy.
Frankly I was the last one on the block with a microwave.
Still can't figure how to use the aps that came with this so called smart phone.
I'm not going to grind a notch in my new smoker.
Have the skills, but not the desire.
Maybe when I've had it a bit longer. Like 10 or 12 years.
I'll either use the port or an instant read thermometer. Even if I have to raise the top.
Really appreciate the info on the Maverick and Thermopro.
I'm off to check them out at the usual source.
Tony...

Apologies to run a thread at two in a row. Bad forum manners I've heard.
Anyway-
I found That I can get a Maverick with my Score card rewards.
Does not show the model number.
It does state that the probe unit can send information up to 100 feet.
That's enough to reach me if I'm in my model room or the garden.
Looks simple enough for me.
I will order it today unless I see any strong objections.
Thanks so much for everyone that has posted.
I know you stick your neck out every time you recommend a procedure or a product.
So thank you many times for your help and suggestions. :)(y)
err..thinking about the notch. maybe after a smoke or two. :rolleyes:
Tony.

Last edited:
It really depends on how many walls you have between you and the probe, for as to how far the signal will travel. 100 feet is direct line of sight, perfect conditions. By comparison, the XR-50 that I mentioned has a 500 foot rating. The Maverick that you are looking at is a good model though, most Maverick products are, and it should work great for you. Good luck. (y)

Charlie

Before getting my Thermoworks smoke I used a Maverick for 5-6 years and it was very dependable. I still have it for a backup and the only reason I got the smoke was I was thinking that the Maverick may be running out of life and I didn't want to be caught without a way to monitor my cooks.
But for sure get a couple of spare probes as stated before they are the weak link with the Maverick

So, I ordered it.
It will be interesting testing it.
Thanks very much for your information gentlemen. (y)
I'll be sure to order a couple extra probes after I see how this thing works.
Probably leave the receiving unit on the kitchen table when I'm in the house. That's one wall plus 20 feet.
It'll save me from going in and out the house.
Before I forget:
How do you test these things for accuracy ?

So, I ordered it.
It will be interesting testing it.
Thanks very much for your information gentlemen. (y)
I'll be sure to order a couple extra probes after I see how this thing works.
Probably leave the receiving unit on the kitchen table when I'm in the house. That's one wall plus 20 feet.
It'll save me from going in and out the house.
Before I forget:
How do you test these things for accuracy ?
Put the probe in a glass of ice water, reading should be 32F, boiling water to 212F. Make sure that you're careful when cleaning the probes, most of them aren't waterproof, (where the wire goes into the probe), and that's what usually kills them. Keep the probe wires away from extreme heat, and if they are exposed to high heat areas, put a bit of foil around the wire in that area, such as the gap between the inner wall and the water pan area, where the heat is coming up in the WSM.

Charlie

Great advice.
Thank you. (y)
I'm off to the big box store to get a few things for the new smoker.
Charcoal, wood chunks, some pavers, a water heater pan, and a chimney.
I'll see what works best between the pavers and pan. Always need pavers. :rolleyes:
If they don't have the chimney I want, I'll order it on line.
Say, what do you guys do with the top when your checking meat?
Appreciate the help. :)

Antonio, I just put it on the ground. It is only a problem if you are short on space or put it on top of grass or dry grass. Then the grass gets stuck on the lid and potentially on your meat.

The alternative is to install a hinge but I've never felt it was very stable, especially when the WSM is empty. And the other minus is that you can't take the unit apart to move. In most cases, folks won't want to move their WSM but some move it all the time.

If you tend to be clean, then you can put it on top of oil drip pan which can be purchased at an auto store. Shapes are different though.

Say, what do you guys do with the top when your checking meat?
I have a few spots that I use like a wood table and a inverted metal wash tub.
If you put it on the ground at least put it on some scrap pieces of 1X material.
I use mine on a concrete drive and I don't want to chip the lid or put grease circles down.

Get yourself a few 2 x 3 stainless oil drip pans. Like $10 each and nest inside of each other. I have 3 and could use another.

Great landing spot for the cooker, the lid, the chimney, hot grates, etc. Can use them on the ground to keep your deck/patio clean. Can also use them to make a patio table into a grease/fire resistant work surface.

Last edited:
Get yourself a few 2 x 3 stainless oil drip pans
Great idea.
Called the car parts place I deal with and asked them to have two oil drip pans to be picked up.
I did get the water heater pan, but will return it in favor of getting the drip pans.
Thanks Donna.
I think that it will be most convenient to simply do a smoke on the side deck.
It'll be easiest to monitor there.
inverted metal wash tub
That's creative Timothy. :giggle:

Back