Old Fashioned Lemonade

Ken_K

TVWBB Super Fan
I'm not sure where I found this recipe, but I tried it out the other week and it was fantastic.

INGREDIENTS

5 lemons
1 1/4 cups white sugar
1 1/4 quarts water

DIRECTIONS

• Peel the rinds from the 5 lemons and cut them into 1/2 inch slices. Set the lemons aside. (I used a sharp potato peeler, make sure only to get the yellow part and very little of the white pith)

• Place the rinds in a bowl and sprinkle the sugar over them. Mix it all around so that they are covered

• Let this stand for about one hour, so that the sugar begins to soak up the oils from the lemons.

• Bring water to a boil in a covered saucepan and then pour the hot water over the sugared lemon rinds. Allow this mixture to cool for 20 minutes and then remove the rinds. ( I just poured it through a strainer into the pitcher.)

• Squeeze the lemons into another bowl. Pour the juice through a strainer into the sugar mixture. Stir well, pour into pitcher and pop it in the fridge! Serve with ice cubes.

I doubled the recipe to make 2.5 quarts. This makes a very tart lemonade which is the way I like it. I actually cut the sugar by half a cup to give it even more of a bite. It’s a bit of work but very much worth it if you like lemonade.

Back