Old 1987 81001 26" Kettle Parts Hunt

Joe Repac

I have a 1987 81001 26" kettle that needs a few parts. My plan was to replace the charcoal and food grates and the p/n 7402 charcoal rails. This has turned into "The Hunt for Red October". I called Weber customer service and the food grate will be available next year and no ETA on the other parts.

I then started a web hunt for the parts. A hardware store in New York had the food grate and I bought it. The charcoal grate is only available from generic replacement parts places as a special order from Weber. Their CSR already told me they have none. The charcoal rails are on Amazon for $50 which is robbery for an $8 part. I did order them from a Coop in Texas but suspect my order will be rejected.

Do you guys know of places that are good for parts for old Webers? I'm thinking of hardware stores like the one I found that stocks old Weber parts.

For grates, you could check out KillaGrilla. $$$, but they’ll last forever.
I saw them out on Etsy and went to their website directly. None of their standard product fit my grill. However, I'll check with them on a custom for the charcoal grate that measures 19.5"

i bought a killagrilla food grate for this specific 'flattop' model recently, two flaps, and it is good for my lifetime, great quality, 1/4 inch stainless rod. They also offer one with one flap.
It didn't quite fit, being 24-3/8 diameter, and the original food grate is 24-3/4. So i modified the grill yet again, putting longer rest stops in alongside the originals ( ok, so that's a desecration to some people, I admit it). But it works great.
if you are by any chance interested in the original food grate, it's in decent/acceptable shape, or the original charcoal pan, let me know. I have also rigged a charcoal bucket under it, versus the old open pan.
Other than that, I wish you luck getting parts.

Yep, I believe you have the old "flat top" like I do. Mark Baron at Killa Grilla is THE source for high grade stainless grates for these cool old grills.

IMG_2027.jpg

IMG_2028.jpg

Yep, I believe you have the old "flat top" like I do. Mark Baron at Killa Grilla is THE source for high grade stainless grates for these cool old grills.

View attachment 37562

View attachment 37563
Wow, that looks in great shape, especially for the age!
I won’t post pix of mine, it’s not nearly as nice. I see your handles have survived - my front handle fell off early on, so I remounted it with stainless fasteners.
I would recommend KillaGrilla grates, period. Looks like you also have a charcoal grate from them.

Joe,
The charcoal grate is actually a stainless grate I got on Amazon not intended as a charcoal grate but which was the right size. (You can see it has a fold-up side.) I got it before I found out about Mark Baron/Killa Grilla. I am pretty sure Mark has a stainless charcoal grate for the "flat-top" 26ers.

I didn't think that Weber still sold the main grate for the old flat-tops. The current 26 is different in design, and the grate for it will not fit in the older flat-top 26" kettles. I certainly hope it works out for you. I am sure others here would like to see some pictures when you get everything.

Joe,
The charcoal grate is actually a stainless grate I got on Amazon not intended as a charcoal grate but which was the right size. (You can see it has a fold-up side.) I got it before I found out about Mark Baron/Killa Grilla. I am pretty sure Mark has a stainless charcoal grate for the "flat-top" 26ers.

I didn't think that Weber still sold the main grate for the old flat-tops. The current 26 is different in design, and the grate for it will not fit in the older flat-top 26" kettles. I certainly hope it works out for you. I am sure others here would like to see some pictures when you get everything.
I emailed Mark at Killa Grilla and he pointed out the charcoal grate was under custom grates. I ordered one.

I received my new Weber food grate this week and it is perfect. It's hard to believe I found one in a hardware store outside of Buffalo, NY. I expect to receive the charcoal grate from Killa Grilla next week.

My charcoal rail order has not been fulfilled according to the vendors website but FedEx reported that a package from their vicinity in Texas is on the way.

Back