Oklahoma > Oklahoma City: Edge Craft Barbecue

Lynn Dollar

TVWBB Emerald Member
Edge Craft Barbecue
1920 Linwood Bvld
Oklahoma City, OK 73120

(405) 768-2970

Mrs Dollar and I got back to " barbecue jointin " today. Between covid and Mrs Dollars job change, we've had trouble making any joints. But we went to a good one today.

Zach Edge was pitmaster at Maples BBQ, which went out of business the January before the Covid lock downs, after a 2 year run. They served central Texas barbecue, but IMO, they had too much overhead. They spent a lot of money remodeling a building in a hot downtown district.

Zach went out on his own, and found what appears to be an old auto garage in the same general area. He's got a 1K propane tank smoker from Primitive Pits in a smoke shack outside. Its pretty basic stuff. Looks to be very low overhead. He's burning post oak. And he's making some damn good barbecue.

Edge Craft is open at 11 am to sellout, Thursday through Sunday. We got there at about 10 minutes till eleven and joined a line of about 20 people or more. By 11:15 we were at a table enjoying barbecue. All during our lunch, the line kept growing.

We both got the two meat plate that comes with two sides, so we could try a little of everything. Mrs Dollar got ribs and turkey with smoked elote and mac/cheese . I got brisket and a link of chipotle oaxaca sausage, with baked beans and a creamy cole slaw. Mrs Dollar added pudding, which I declined because I'm watching my figure ;)

It was all good. Some of it was better than good. The brisket was what I expected, I asked for fatty and it was melt in your mouth goodness. My only complaint was the slice I got contained a lot of deckle fat. I can trim a brisket better than that.

The sausage was excellent, the casing had a good snap. Maybe the best meat of the meal, but that's really hard to say.

The turkey was above average, very spicy, could've maybe been better if dipped in butter before serving.

And the ribs, wow, they were Duroc and whole spares, which means they're not much bigger than commodity St Louis cut, but had that very unique Duroc flavor. I suspect they were Creekstone Farms Duroc as I know Zach serves Creekstone prime brisket. And of course, they were Texas style ribs.

Of the four sides, we both really liked the smoked elote. And I enjoyed the creamy cole slaw. The mac/cheese and baked beans were good, but average.

And I got a couple bites of the banana pudding, and ......... oh my. I could eat a lot of that.

The pickles and pickled onion were also good, that's something I'm gonna do later this summer. I'm growing cucumbers to make the pickles. Edge Craft's pickles were dill. I'm gonna make bread and butter.

We will be going back. And next time I will forgo the two meat plate, just get 1/2 pound of fatty brisket and couple of ribs. Maybe add the smoked elote or try some other sides.

Edge Craft.jpg

The smoke shack

smoke shack.jpg

Primitive Pits 1K propane tank smoker

Primitive Pit.jpg

Menu

Menu.jpg

Line after we got inside

Line.jpg

Our plates

My Plate.jpg

Renee Plate.jpg

Too much deckle fat in this slice for my tastes. It was delicious brisket, I just wish I'd gotten a complete slice

Deckle.jpg

But the oaxaca sausage was excellent

Sausage.jpg

Sauces on the table, but I did not find a need. Sauce on any of this just might've ruined it. And that banana pudding .......... ohhh my

Sauce edit.jpg

And there was still a growing line when we finished

Line Finished.jpg

Awesome photos, that Oaxaca sausage does look awesome indeed. Do you get to choose from where you want your slice of Brisket?

Well, I asked for fatty. I did not get a chance to be particular about what part of the point it came from. I probably should've objected and asked for a better slice. But I'm not sure where that better slice would've come from except him pulling another brisket out of the warmer.

Zach was at the cutting board. I watched him unwrap a brisket and the butcher paper was soaked with tallow. After dumping out the brisket, he picked up the paper and wrang it out on to the brisket.

And oh yeah, that sausage was really really good. Every bit as good as it looks.

Back