OCTOBERFEST.......

Joan

TVWBB Hall of Fame
starts this Saturday - 9/18

Do you celebrate it? If so, do you have anything special you like to eat? (notice I said EAT lol) Wanna share?

Being a German household we have German food quite a lot. And I am not talking about Brats or Eisbein (pig knuckles). And since we are not from Bavaria either we never felt the urge to celebrate it. And by the way the German Oktoberfest in Muenchen has been cancelled again for the 2nd time because of Covid.

I’m half German from my Mother’s side. My grandparents came to America in the late 1900’s. We’d go to their house for Sunday dinner, it would often be Saurbraten, Rouladen or Kassler Rippchen. We have a decent German restaurant near us that I’ve been to before maybe we’ll check it out again. Last time I went I had the “Farmer’s Feast”, it was a ton of food. I’ve already been hittin’ the Hofbrau for a week!

Farmers Feast
56FE9938-0958-4E7A-81A1-951C760FF0F4.jpeg
063B9DD9-F048-44AD-9C3E-51ACF862D807.jpeg

I'm also half German and Lithuanian.
Some good restaurants and delis for both when I lived in Chicago.
Moved out here and it was hard to find anything except Wurst kitchen in Aurora.
There are a few Bohoc joints in western springs but on e German place was great that my older brother took me to.

I’m half German from my Mother’s side. My grandparents came to America in the late 1900’s. We’d go to their house for Sunday dinner, it would often be Saurbraten, Rouladen or Kassler Rippchen. We have a decent German restaurant near us that I’ve been to before maybe we’ll check it out again. Last time I went I had the “Farmer’s Feast”, it was a ton of food. I’ve already been hittin’ the Hofbrau for a week!

Farmers Feast
View attachment 59423
View attachment 59424

My mom’ from Germany and Rouladen was part of our Christmas meals. I love that dish…but not with the pickle.

My mom’ from Germany and Rouladen was part of our Christmas meals. I love that dish…but not with the pickle.
When I was a kid I didn’t like the pickle either, now I’d love it. I probably haven’t had Rouladen in 50 years. I only think about German food when Oktoberfest rolls around, kinda like corned beef and cabbage on St Patrick’s Day.

Thanks John, now everyone has a place for their food and BEER for Octoberfest postings. ;)

Very late to Octoberfest, but last night we had "Bavarian Sauerbraten" that DH marinated for 4 days. It was "delicious".

Back