Oak Whisky Staves

Many years ago, a Distillery close by in a neighboring state would regularly dispose of used whiskey barrels, by giving them to anyone who would haul them off. I would borrow my brothers pick up, and take my two teen aged sons. We would break up the barrels and fill the pick up bed with oak staves. We would haul them home and build a heck of a wood pile to use in the fireplace. Many years later, after I got seriously interested in smoking meat, I realized how great it would be if we still had access.

Oh well, just another one of life’s jokes on us!

FWIW
Keep on smokin’
Dale53 :wsm:

Last edited:
Yea you pay a premium from the BBQ store for JD or similar chunks or chips.
K-Mart used to sell old whiskey barrels cut in half for planters. They would clearance them out at the end of the year, but they were treated with a water repellant spray:mad:

I friend from work gave me some pieces from Makers Mark oak casks. He got them from a local guy who makes things out of the whiskey barrels. I have used them for PP and smoked meatloaf and I absolutely love the flavor. The guy sells the scrap pieces so when I run out I will definitely get some more.

I picked up a pack from the Maker's Mark gift store at the distillery a few years ago. I've only used them a few times. They're full staves, so they need to be cut up to stick in the grill/smoker. I've been too lazy and need to cut up a few more.

Back