O.K. They said it was simple but...

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hello All this is my second post and pardon my ignorance but exactly what are the proper temps for pork shoulders. Also any tricks other than the ones on the home page would be great. I also desperately need a lot of help with pork ribs every time I try to cook them they are not edible.
frown.gif
I'm sure there will be more questions in the near future thanks
smile.gif

------------------

Hang in There it will get better ;-)

Mike,

It looks like you found out you took the butt off too soon. Now for the ribs.... What seems to be the problem, tough, dry? Describe how you prepare them and maybe we can make a diagnosis. I assume you are talking about spareribs.

What temperature are you cooking at? Try 250 at the grill level (you can go lower,later). If they taste ok but are tough, try leaving them on a little longer. Try cutting off one rib when you think you are done and put them back on the fire if they aren't tender enough. I find that if I take all the slabs off at one time, some are fine and others need to cook longer.

A common indicator people use is when the meat shrinks up on the rib. This can be misleading because a spile in temperature will cause this. Let us know how the next batch turns out.

Hi Mike,
I read the following about internal temp for pork butts
------
At the internal temp of 167* the butts is just starting to break down, you need to get to 185* for sliced and 195-200* for pulled as rule of thumb.
------
I hit 193* internal temp on the pork butt yesterday and I was very happy with the results.

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back