Not new but want to share information for full disclosure

Jerry We

TVWBB Fan
I've been a member of this Board for several years. I think I joined when I bought my WSM since smoking meat was totally new to me. While I haven't posted a lot, I have gained an enormous amount of information here. Ten weeks ago, I purchased a SmokeFire EX6 and it has been inoperable for 5 of those 10 weeks. However, the BBQ that it produced during the 5 weeks it was operable was beyond fantastic

Shortly after buying the SF, I joined a Facebook SmokeFire Owner’s Group in order to learn cooking and operation tips from those that have used it. My guess is that some members here are also members of that Group. I did post a lot on that group about my successes as well as my disappointments with the SF. All posts were professional and kept only to the facts. A couple of days ago I posted about problems I was having with the glow plug. I also mentioned that my wife told me I could not take a chance cooking a turkey on it for Thanksgiving since it was not reliable. I was immediately verbally attacked in a post by one of the members as basically being a wimp for listening to my wife and that my wife has no idea how it works. He went on to blame me for the problems I was having since I probably assembled it incorrectly. You can probably guess where this is going – I exploded and in hindsight I should have just asked the moderators to handle it. The next day I was locked out of the group and my friend who is also a member told me that the moderators got a kick out of it and thanked the attacker since they were tired of reading negative reviews. Obviously, this summary is strictly from my point of view. I also recently posted a scathing review of the SF on the Weber website under “Jerry from Illinois” and would encourage anyone to read it. Weber’s reaction to my review has been amazing. Among other things, I now have my own support rep to contact with any future questions, issues, etc. I know many would/have given up on the SF if they had experienced what I have but I also know there is good potential there and Weber just needs to get it worked out and I believe they will.

If anyone is uncomfortable with me posting in this Group please let me know and I will stop immediately. Thanks, and sorry for the long story.

Last edited:
Seems like the other group needs an IRS audit. Stay strong. The sf has great potential, and can make outstanding food. It is important for Weber to be successful. Maybe this time they will listen. We all want the SmokeFire to be the gold standard. And certainly Weber should.
It can already make great food at a level above others. Just a few hiccups left and it will be a strong presence in the market. Good for is good for weber. Residual sales from pellets is good for weber and jeeps them making our other favorite bbq tools. So here's to constructive ideas and to the people engineering these tasty smokers.

Last edited:
Hey Jerry, I only speak for myself, but it seems to me you are a reasonable kind of guy. I joined this forum earlier this year, and have found it to be an amazing source of information, constructive comments to questions asked, and simply one of the best managed forums I have encountered. I've not seen any bashing on this forum, as you experienced on the FB group. I imagine Chris would not tolerate it. It is always best to take the high road, but not always easy to do so.

You’re better off being out of that group. I’m really sick of Internet Neanderthals like that. Listening to your wife makes you a wimp??? Do those idiots like realize this is the 21st century? Do they realize women have had the right to vote for 100 years?
To be clear I'm not bashing the group as the majority of their members are very helpful with honest and constructive comments. However, this guy's attack went on and on and another one of his zingers was that I should stick with the kitchen stove and a Betty Crocker cookbook. Clever - yes; funny - yes, but not in the heat of the moment; appropriate in a discussion group - no way. I was told that the moderators really praised him in a group post for that one. I have no problem with the decision to lock me out for my response but as nearly as I can tell his post violated at least three of the group's rules and he is still posting. Sorry, I'll stop now.

I feel your pain. When I got a Masterbuilt 1050 I also joined a few of the Facebook groups. There are harpies on those groups as well. I got blocked from one, and I left another one a week or so ago after I mentioned I was getting a Smokefire. I got bitched out for mentioning another brand my parting statement was "Oh for Pete's Sake" then I left the group.

Hi Jerry. Your post is welcome. Anonymity has a way of strangely empowering some folks but Chris has an incredible knack for maintaining a proper balance here. Between his leadership and the nature of members within this site there is great comfort and support.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

I had high hopes for the smokefire and had parked my desire for a charcoal summit pending my it’s release. All the issues made me reconsider and I took the plunge with the Summit. I’ll consider the next gen smoke fire once all the glitches have been resolved.

I had high hopes for the smokefire and had parked my desire for a charcoal summit pending my it’s release. All the issues made me reconsider and I took the plunge with the Summit. I’ll consider the next gen smoke fire once all the glitches have been resolved.
I don't think you could have gone wrong either way. My friend has a charcoal summit and loves it. I considered it but I already have the charcoal WSM, 3 sizes of the Weber charcoal kettles and a propane Summit S-670. I wanted to find out what the pellet craze was all about and in my 70 years have never owned anything other than a Weber so took the plunge when they released the SmokeFire. Even with all the issues I've had I still think it was the right decision for me and with the latest glow plug version I installed yesterday I think I'm finally going to be totally happy. Happy smoking in the UK!

I don't think you could have gone wrong either way. My friend has a charcoal summit and loves it. I considered it but I already have the charcoal WSM, 3 sizes of the Weber charcoal kettles and a propane Summit S-670. I wanted to find out what the pellet craze was all about and in my 70 years have never owned anything other than a Weber so took the plunge when they released the SmokeFire. Even with all the issues I've had I still think it was the right decision for me and with the latest glow plug version I installed yesterday I think I'm finally going to be totally happy. Happy smoking in the UK!
Thanks Jerry I hope the new glow plug sorts the situation. I too was intrigued by pellet smokers after going to a class with Diva Q and did look at the Traeger’s but was put off by the questions around hitting high temps. The smokefire seems to have that covered and looks like a great grill.

Back