NOT a coincidence

Joan

TVWBB Hall of Fame
What has been happening too often for quite a while, I am sure is not a coincidence, but people listening in somehow to DH and my conversations. For example,
DH will be talking to me about his knees hurting him. Later that day or next day there will be ads on my computer for knee braces or meds or something related to what we were talking about. Does this happen to anyone else? Are people really able to listen in?

I've heard/read that your device isn't necessarily listening to you (I have a hard time believing that sometimes), but that network traffic monitored from a single wifi point will then push back ads to everyone that uses that WiFi access.

For example, my wife was looking for "XYZ" on her phone. We didn't talk/text about it, but the next day, I was getting "XYZ" ads on my phone. Creepy, huh?

Tracy, I can see how that can happen, but just talking in the privacy (yea, like we have that anymore) of our own home, no one should be able to know what was said. This has happened too, too many times about too, too many different subjects. Like when we were talking about fixing a hole in our patio screen, next thing you know, there is an ad on my computer from a company that fixes such problems. That is not a coincidence, that is someone listening to us.

There's a way to go check all the information that Google has compiled on you. It compiles it all into a giant file you can download. There were a bunch of recordings of every time I asked did an "OK Google" voice command on my phone. If the phone thinks you said OK Google it will record a chunk of conversation afterwards. It also has every web search, everywhere I've been with that android phone, every google app I've used and how long. Every map search, etc. I don't think it's recording all the time at all. But if I google something I'll get ads about it for days afterward and I'll get directed ads if I'm at the grocery store for various products. They can know a lot about you from just all that. Facebook is doing the same thing. These companies probably know you better than you know yourself.

Back