Northern California Power Shutdown

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Hi everyone,

I live in an area where power may be shut down at 12:00 PM today, 10/9/19 due to high fire danger. I may not be able to get online for an unknown period of time to answer questions, process new member registrations, etc.

Thanks for your understanding during this time.

Chris

Update 10/9/19 1:05 PM: I have temporarily disabled new member registration in anticipation that I will not be able to process them. I will turn it back on ASAP. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Update 10/9/19 1:45 PM: Estimated time of power outage has been pushed out to 8:00-10:00 PM. Turning new member registration back on until shortly before that time.

Update 10/10/19 11:45 AM: Lost power last night but still have cell access. Turning new user registration back on.

Update 10/10/19 3:45 PM: Power restored. Event over.

J Grotz

TVWBB Super Fan
Are these shutdowns PG&E's revenge for being held accountable for their previous negligence? It seems that their blackout plan is way too broad, shutting power off to hundreds of thousands of more people than is really necessary.

If these become routine going forward, are you allowed to have a generator in your condo complex?

Bob Correll

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I was communicating yesterday with Cliff B in Redding via PM, he was expecting the same shutdown, said he probably wouldn't be able to post during this period unless from his phone.

J Grotz

TVWBB Super Fan
Even cell service could be sketchy. What sort of battery or diesel back-up power is available at the cell towers and other telecom sites? I know there were rules put in place after Katrina, but with exceptions one could drive a semi through.

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Are these shutdowns PG&E's revenge for being held accountable for their previous negligence? It seems that their blackout plan is way too broad, shutting power off to hundreds of thousands of more people than is really necessary.

If these become routine going forward, are you allowed to have a generator in your condo complex?
We have made preparations to keep our refrigerator and some lights running and to keep our mobile devices charged in case cell service is available. Wish us luck!

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Even cell service could be sketchy. What sort of battery or diesel back-up power is available at the cell towers and other telecom sites? I know there were rules put in place after Katrina, but with exceptions one could drive a semi through.
It's my understanding that rules/regulations were put in place in this regard, but little enforcement. But my understanding may be incomplete or in error. If our power goes out for several days, I'm sure we'll exceed any backup capacity put in place.

Rich Dahl

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Hope all goes well for you Chris. The good news is this forum has a lot of good people on it so if you do go off the air for awhile the forum should be fine.

Bob Correll

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Hope all goes well for you Chris. The good news is this forum has a lot of good people on it so if you do go off the air for awhile the forum should be fine.
The hell with that Rich, let's party while the boss is away!
Kidding of course, hope all affected are powered back up soon.

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
We lost power just before midnight last night. Ran our fridge on rechargeable battery overnight. Started running propane generator at 11am to recharge battery, run fridge, recharge devices, etc. Will probably run generator two more times today before going quiet overnight. Cable and internet are out, but cell service still working. City water uninterrupted. Everything going according to plan at this point.

Donna Fong

TVWBB Fan
It is hard for me to think of the power outages as anything but the beginning of the a new normal for us in California. As a matter of fact, I'm surprised we were smoke free this year thus far. Maybe thanks to power outages, right? My only hope is that so many folks will be buying generators that the cost of them will finally fall to a level where I can afford them. Thankfully, this does not impede my use of my WSM.

Timothy F. Lewis

TVWBB Hall of Fame
That’s why we all seem to enjoy this forum, we can cook without electricity!
I had a visitor from out of town one time and the power went out just as I had been getting things going for dinner(I hate electric stoves) so, I grabbed my little butane single burner and lit some oil lamps! He was really surprised that I didn’t skip a beat making dinner! The quiet of the evening was very nice, I had lots of comforters and quilts so we were prepared for a cold night but, it didn’t last very long and the fireplace kept the back room very cozy!

Jason in CA

TVWBB Pro
I heard on the news this morning there are parts of Southern California getting power cut now because of fires. Seems like the power companies are now going out of the way to cover their backsides.