Nomad grill; suitcase-size, cool to touch; only $600

Chris in Louisiana

TVWBB All-Star
Daniel Vaughn has a piece in Texas Monthly about the new Nomad portable grill. I'm not really in the market, but it sounds impressive if you have the coin to afford it. $600 gets you the grill and a single grate; if you want the second grate for the other side, that'll be another $120. But shipping is free!

Strong enough to run over with a Jeep, and stays only warm to touch when full of fire. Someone buy one and give us a full report.

nomad-grills-2.jpg

One of the two grills being used rested on a truck’s open tailgate as a ribeye sizzled on the grate, and another, with the salmon inside, was closed on a wooden picnic table. The Nomad team has done similar demos for plenty of small audiences, and the table showed no burn marks. “We haven’t burnt a wooden table,” Leggett said proudly. When closed, the outer layer of the grill was warm, but not hot, to the touch as the salmon smoked away inside.

With a normal load of lit charcoal in the grill, the outer shell gets up to only 140 degrees Fahrenheit, the temp of a steak cooked to medium. Veatch said he hasn’t seen the surface get any hotter than 170 degrees. At the end of the demo, Leggett closed the lid and the clasps while lit charcoal was still inside; then he carried it to the front seat of his truck. He said he’s done the same thing at football games to store the grill immediately after cooking, rather than risk it being stolen as it cools off outside, as you’d need to do with other portable grills.

Most Portable Grills Don’t Last or Aren’t Truly Portable. A Dallas Start-up Aims to Change That

That's actually pretty cool. If you're someone who camps a lot (@CaseT ), I could see that totally being worth the money.

That is seriously cool. I also think they’re correct in that the portable grill market has a pretty big gap in it. $600 is a lot, but it is made in the USA. Only 5 year warranty though, not that a warranty on a startup style product is worth a lot but you’d think they’d run to 10 considering the cost.

To me, the biggest downside is the weight, 30lb. That’s too heavy for backpack camping and it’s too expensive for a tailgate grill. Cool product nonetheless

The price, I find prohibitive. Frankly, I am a fan of the Jumbo Joe Weber for my portable adventures. It is a REAL grill and I have smoked on it, too. 18" is big enough to do some REAL bbq, and I use it at home when I need some more cooking area during famiy get togethers. I have even made a "doggie bowl" vortex that works well for that purpose.

Good piece of gear, excellent price (bought mine at the end of season for a near give-a-way price, too. :p

YMMV
Dale53

Back