New WSM user, need to add Damper?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I just used my WSM for the first time using Lump and had problems keeping any temp over 200. This is with all dampers open. I did notice that when I pulled the lid off or the access door the charcoal really started glowing and heating! I was thinking of adding another vent damper on the lid to allow more airflow, Has anyone needed to do this?

Hi,

I've never heard of anyone ever having to do this, and I certainly would not consider such a drastic step after just a single use of a new WSM.

The usual culprits are the fuel or the thermometer. Try using a good quality briquette instead of lump, and check your thermometer for accuracy. The Temperature Control Troubleshooting page will help you track down the problem.

Let us know if you have further questions.

Regards,
Chris

I agree with Chris A, it sounds like a Thermometer issue. Don't feel bad, I bought TWO thermometers through the mail and they are both WAY off. I probably should have returned them, but instead I used a cheap candy thermometer that was much more accurate to figure out where the needle on my newly mounted permanent thermometer should be. I still use it for reference because it's really easy to see (even from upstairs bedroom at night!). Someday I'll replace it, but not right away. I know when it reads 200 it's really 250 so it doesn't really matter to me.

One thing I would check is how much charcoal you are using, and if it is fully lit when you started your smoke. When I use the "Minion Method" with lump I usually get a good half a chimney going and then use the vents to keep it at around 230 - 250. Last weekend the thing just cooked away with lump charcoal without touching it for 13 hours!!! It's a really well designed unit, unfortunately not all thermometers are created equal.

Good luck,
-Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back