New WSM 18.5" – is this a defect?

Tim Bill

Hi y'all!

I'm a newcomer having just received my first WSM 18,5" from an authorized Weber dealer here in Switzerland.

After unboxing (the box was fully intact) I noticed that the middle section is slightly warped at the bottom edge, right where the welding seam is. This alone didn't bother me, but when I stacked the middle section on the lower bowl, it didn't seat snuggly but has a more then slight wobble in one direction. Do you guy think that I got a lemon? I attached a photo of the warped region.
There are also three or four chippings of the enamel coating at the lower edge.

So, should the middle section seat snuggly and securely on the lower bowl, so I should go through the hassle of sending the unit back for a replacement, or is this and a slight wobble quite normal?

Thank you all for your advice!
-Tim

Screenshot 2022-04-30 at 15.14.18.png

+1 on damaged. Weber will make it right. Sorry you had a less than excellent purchase experience. You will enjoy your new smoker. Just get that barrel replaced, no charge.

Thanks for your suggestions!

So I contacted Weber (their Swiss branch) directly via their online form where I also provided a photo of the issue. It took them 4-5 days to process my request, but now I received their confirmation that a replacement barrel will be mailed to me next week.

I am glad that I didn't have to go though the hassle of sending the smoker back to the dealer for a replacement. I commend Weber for their customer service, even in Europe!

Thank y'all for your advice!

Yesterday the replacement part was delivered, fulfilled from Germany. Sadly, as good as Weber's service is, as spotty their quality control seems to be, haha. Funny enough, the replacement barrel has similar defects. See attached pics, top of the photo is the replacement part, bottom is the old part.

While the out of round edge seems to be less severe, there are again 5-6 nicks and dents in the enamel finish. Just wanted to let you guys know. I guess I just want absolution from y'all that this is probably within the norm and I should not care too much – right?

Thanks for all your advice :)
- Tim

Attachments

• IMG_2854.JPG
    IMG_2854.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 59
I’d send that to Weber and ask them if this is the manufacturing spec. Personally, my barrel was very round with no dents when I bought mine years ago.

Was the barrel properly packed and protected during shipping?

I agree, that’s not right. Write them again and ask if this is simply what is being produced and go from there. Doesn’t look like what I’d expect.

That just sucks! I know Weber will make it right but damn it, you should be cooking.
For sure, but you can now turn it into a double barrel smoker!
Sort of wish it would have happened to me, so I would have ended up with 2 middle sections for my 14.5 " wsm ;)
Nah, not really. Would have gone terribly wrong in my end of the world

Definitely agree to report this again. It's NOT normal! I've had great service from Weber (US) and you should get the same.

No, neither of these is normal. There should be no defects in the finish as that can lead to later issues. Let me tell you a story: Some years back I dropped my WSM 18" lid from a deck rail onto another deck 10 feet below. SHOCK AND DISMAY! On examination, there was no damage other than to be somewhat out of round (couldn't fit into the barrel). After lightly pressing on it sideways several times against my decking, I got it to be near round. Close enough that with a little push it would settle into place on the barrel. No loss of conditioning, so it still smoked just fine. A couple of years later, I sold it to a friend and showed him the slight "unroundness" of it. A couple of days after that, he told me that he had leaned on it a little himself and felt it was now perfectly round. To this day, I get reports about how wonderful my old cooker is and how happy he remains with the deal to date. So, no, defects and out of round are not acceptable and should be reported (unless you choose to drop it ten feet yourself. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Back