New Weber Summit Kamado E6 - Lid misaligned

Tiago

Hello everyone.
I received yesterday my brand new Weber Summit Kamado E6. I assembled it all without issues but in the end I noticed that my lid does not sit aligned with the bowl. If I look from the underside, I can see that the lid is a few mm to the left side but the thermometer, front handle and front screw are correctly aligned with the front leg like the instructions stated. I did move the lid to the right side the maximum that I am allowed by the screws on the hinge.
Since I am new to this kind of grill, up until know I only had a Weber Smokey Mountain with no hinges, I was wondering if this is somewhat normal or not.
Sorry If I did not explain correctly, English is not my first language. I can post pictures if you need it.
Thank you.

Last edited:
I just assembled mine like 10 days ago.
I found when putting the lid on that I had to be just about all the way to one side to get the lid in the middle of the bowl.
I just used my finger and slipped them under the lid around the bowl to " feel " where the middle is or where it would be centered.
Like I say the hinge was not centered on the rear mount bolts at all but I felt good it was able to be centered at least.
So not sure if it was when you go and tighten all the bolts that they have you leave loose while setting up and what order you tightened them in or not.....seems to be the only logical explanation....maybe I just got lucky with it?

Yes, I also had to put the lid all the way to one side on the hinge to be able to align it. I don't think I can slide it anymore to the right. It just needed a few mm.
Thank you for your fast response. I just wanted to know If I should keep trying to move it or even disassemble it to try again or if this is something that is considered normal and should be left as is.

I haven't had the chance to get smoke through it yet to visually see if there are considerable leaks yet.
I just ran charcoal through it until it burnt out on it's own to get it ready for my first cook.
Which will be on Saturday, it's brisket time....
My 22" leaked considerably at first, so I hope to have a pretty solid seal obviously.
I went over it a few times on the final few steps to try and make sure everything was in line as much as possible before finally getting everything down tight. al I can think that could help you would be to take the bowl back out....loosen all the upper and lower bolts again, the ones that were supposed to be left loose while assembling the unit and maybe tighten them up in the opposite order....
It may do nothing but in my head it would be the only thing that could possibly change your situation.
I hope it works out for you, that bowl is a tank eh? Feels awesomely huge.

It sure does! I'll do my seasoning burn later today to start cooking in the weekend also!
Thanks for your help, I'll loosen the bolts again and see if I can center it a bit better.

Just an update. I reseated the lid several times but it just refuses to stay centered, I think it is a bit better but not perfect.
Did a seasoning burn today and detected no significant leaks. The only place that was leaking a little bit was at the back, where the two ends of gasket come together, there's a small gap there so I was expecting a small leak on that spot.

I’ll add that after waiting so long for it to be available after the upgrade I received mine a week and a half ago only to open and find one of the mounts under the bottom of the bowl crushed in. No damage to the box at all. Whoever packed it saw it and knew it unless a robot packed it. Called immediately and a replacement setup but was told they were back ordered and couldn’t tell me when it would ship. After all this waiting and I ordered without hesitation when they sent an email saying it’s available to say I’m a little bit is......

Attachments

• BE75A8E3-556F-4964-9E24-2500D3C39A9E.jpeg
    BE75A8E3-556F-4964-9E24-2500D3C39A9E.jpeg
    111.7 KB · Views: 57
  • 3FA9547F-9170-43B8-B2A8-8C7B30591D5F.jpeg
    3FA9547F-9170-43B8-B2A8-8C7B30591D5F.jpeg
    117.8 KB · Views: 57
  • 2A769404-E800-4865-87C2-9CCED3B3E956.jpeg
    2A769404-E800-4865-87C2-9CCED3B3E956.jpeg
    130.1 KB · Views: 57
Mike, I have yet to get a Weber grill shipped to me that isn’t damaged. Performer multiple broken cart pieces and scratched lid, Spirit, dented bottom shelf on cart, Traveler broken side table, SmokeFire chipped paint on lid. My first WSCG from Amazon had so many damaged parts when I called Weber and sent pics, they wouldn’t even send me replacements, they made me return it to Amazon.

I try first to buy locally, they still haven‘t learned to package for shipping, They’ve designed packaging to sell by the truckload to retailers.

However, I agree that it appears whomever boxed that should be ashamed. With the paint scratched off the other posts it looks like it was dropped quite a distance before being boxed.

If you ask me the Weber quality management is not existing.
When I think of my summit charcoal ... 3 front legs, damaged wheel and one "triangle frame" completely out of shape.
It took Weber 5 weeks to send me the replacement parts. It was a hard time because it was my Christmas gift to myself and I already had planed the Christmas Eve dinner with the Summit.
My Ranch kettle came without a charcoal grate and the ash pan. Unfortunately I had to pay for this parts because the box was never opend but from 2012.
But to be fair one of my Master Touch kettles came with 4 charcoal grates but no cooking grate. So I had 3 spare parts :) and got the cooking grate from Weber.

That is absolutely gut-wrenching, I never had that misfortune with both my Weber purchases but I totally get the way you must be feeling. I'm sorry both of you had to go through that. Makes me feel bad for asking about a slight misalignment on my grill. Hope you guys get that sorted sooner rather than later so you can enjoy your grills.

No answers, no updates regarding replacement Kamado bowl, no responses from emails....nothing. $1200.00

Wow... absolutely terrible. Not what I would expect from what I hear in some videos. Everybody claims Weber customer support is great, at least in the US. I know that every time I contacted support in Europe... it was somewhat disappointing, but I never had a huge issue like you do.
They didn't give you any timeline at all? Is it a stock issue?

When I was shopping for mine almost every Weber representative and even Weber directly were out of stock. Some told me that they could probably deliver the grill in July but without any guarantee.
Only one of the representatives that I contacted had the grill in stock and shipped it to my location. So there is really a big stock problem at least in my location.

Last edited:
So as odd as it seems to have the lid not centered on the back studs I ran a smoke this past weekend and it was pretty good when looking for smoke leaks around the lid. I had 2 probes on the grill too.
I did see a leak at the back where the lid gasket ends but this is a common issue as far as I am concerned.
Not sure if you had a cook and it went good for you or not...?

Did a pork belly today. Yes, I have exactly the same leak on the back where the two ends of the gasket meet.
Everything went perfectly, got some awesome crispy skin.

Its good to hear......I was nervous too, I had some other down effects with the new bbq but I expected it to be perfect of course.
Basically I think it leaks a bunch of air because it is new and there hasn't been enough crap run through it to seal up some tiny leaks. The bottom vent also it loud when moving it but hopefully a few more cooks gets that working like I am used to. How did your unit itself work?
I took 3 hours to cool down, again I think because of air leaks......it wasn't perfectly cool either but I could get the cover on.

A talked a bit more about how it went in this thread.

The unit worked fine. I also noticed that the one touch cleaning system is quite noisy.
The cooldown wasn't that long for sure, I did not time it but I am sure it was faster than that. I will time it next time.
Check if your one touch blades are flush or a little raised, if they are raised they will let air in.
I did change the original wheels with a larger rubber ones. The original ones are terrible for my irregular backyard pavement. Great improvement with the new ones. Also, for whatever reason, the European version only came with one swivel caster and two fixed, replaced with three swivel ones.

Its good to hear......I was nervous too, I had some other down effects with the new bbq but I expected it to be perfect of course.
Basically I think it leaks a bunch of air because it is new and there hasn't been enough crap run through it to seal up some tiny leaks. The bottom vent also it loud when moving it but hopefully a few more cooks gets that working like I am used to. How did your unit itself work?
I took 3 hours to cool down, again I think because of air leaks......it wasn't perfectly cool either but I could get the cover on.

A talked a bit more about how it went in this thread.
I’ve been looking for a larger smoker than my WSM 18. Has the leak improved?
Thanks,
Jeff

I have only done 1 brisket and then 1 rack of ribs which I used less hot charcoal on but seemed to want to smoke at 260 at the lowest.
Now the top vent is getting to where " normal " seems........
I don't let the grease get everywhere and keep it under control with pans and stuff so it might take a bit to see if it seals up a bit.
I wouldn't let anything I said prevent you from buying an E6.
My 22 kettle acted like this when it was brand new last year and right now it's the best bbq I have.
I love that thing, it can do every cook I want it to
I just wanted more room to make more than 1 thing at a time basically, others have the E6 on here and we all say the same thing.
It's built like a tank and does a very good job at what it is supposed to do.
Even if I can never ever get it to hold steady and smoke at 225, 250 will be a possibility probably next time I use it. I don't smoke much below 250 ever anyways so it already does what I want it to.

Back