New to WSM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Mayer

TVWBB Fan
Hey y'all - I am thinking about getting a WSM soon. I have had a chepo h2o smoker and a New Braunfels Black Dimond in the past(the NBBD rusted out after many years of tasty use!)

I have heard great things about this site and WSM.
I guess the main question i have is about capacity and how much can be smoked at once? Can you smoke 2 -10-12# briskets or 2 turkeys? How about ribs?
Thanks for your help!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Hey y'all - I am thinking about getting a WSM soon. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Time's a-wastin'! Order one ASAP. You will not regret it.

Two briskets, yes. Two turkeys, maybe-- if the one on the bottom grate is not over about 7" tall. Ribs, some claim up to fourteen rolled and stacked, but I think they were talking baby backs.

Welcome Steve You will find that you can do 6-8 racks of baby backs (4 on each grate). I did 3 racks of spares trimmed to St Louis style and rolled on the top rack last week without any problem and could have easily put another on.(click on the cooking icon and read about rolling ribs to understand how to do this). I cooked the breast bones and skirts on the lower grate and cut them up into rib tips. I think you could do two Turkeys but for the one lower rack you would have to measure to make sure it would fit height wise. 2 briskits no problem just measure to see end to end they will fit in the smoker over teh water pan. I think you will find the WSM a versatile and efficient little unit that can do some big time smoking.

Hi Steve and welcome!

You can also do 6, 8 lb. pork butts...3 on each level. You need to stand them on one of their sides, but it can be done quite easily.

The technical measurements are......18 1/2" diameter, so....your radius is 9.25".....square that and multiply by pi.....85.5625 X 3.14 = 268.66625. That is for each level so a total of 537.73325 sq." of cooking area.

Like your old off-set, there are hot spots to be aware of.....outside of the diameter of the water pan, but if you rotate your meats you will be fine.

You'll enjoy it!

Stogie,

Get out your measuring tape and check those grates. I always assumed they were 18-1/2" and 18", but someone here on the BB informed me that they're 17-1/2" and 17". Sure enough, it's true.

I figure the total cooking surface area is about 468 square inches.

Regards,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back