New (to me) Zero-Sugar BBQ Sauce

Karl Quist

TVWBB Pro
I was browsing down the bottled sauce aisle at our local Costco, and saw a new to me Zero Sugar Cali Gold BBQ Sauce from Kinder's. I like their spice blends quite a bit, so why not? Trying to find a good low-sugar sauce is kind of tough. I do make my own occasionally, but like many things, it could be better. I have T2 diabetes, so carb counting is unfortunately a way of life.

I tried this with some leftover smoked pulled pork that I made into a wrap. The sauce is a little different from what I was expecting, but really good. Quite honestly, my bar is low with low-carb and low/no sugar stuff, which usually tastes like cardboard or worse. This has actual flavor, and I really liked it. 4 grams carbohydrates per 2 tablespoon serving. I don't like a lot of sauce on my BBQ, so I use about a tablespoon per my serving. Not bad. I think I will keep it.

PXL_20230107_011311256.jpg

PXL_20230107_011326379.jpg

Can't make out the ingredient label but my experience with low/no stuff is they're typically chemical s%^t storms. What's your take on the ingredient list. Is it a Gilbert Chemistry set?

I’ve tried Ray’s and G Hugh’s. (I also use Heinz sugar free ketchup). So far, I haven’t found a sugar free BBQ sauce I don’t like.

Label does not look too bad. Maybe worth a shot. Wondering though just how much using a regular (with sugar) BBQ sauce really affects anything. I mean, if ya think about it. How much are you actually "ingesting" from just a little glaze on a slab of ribs?

It has Luo Han Guo fruit which is another word for Monk fruit.
That's what I use instead of Stevia for a sweetener.

Kinder's sauces are my "go to." They use cane sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup and are exceptionally flavorful. I wasn't aware of this variety, but you have sold me. I will keep my eyes open for it.

Sorry for the late reply. As noted, the ingredient list isn't too crazy. Straight from the jar, it does seem to me that something is just a little bit off. Not really in a bad way, just different. Hard to quantify that.

I have used it on a few pulled pork wraps this week, and it seems to marry pretty good with the pork.

Larry, I think you are right about sugar vs. no sugar. How much sugar are you really ingesting with a tablespoon or two of sauce? Overall, probably not much really. Unfortunately (for me anyway), my dietician wants the sugar count kept to a strict number, so those little amounts of sugar here and there add up. I will be keeping this sauce around for sure.

How much sugar are you really ingesting with a tablespoon or two of sauce?
my son and wife eat a Keto diet, so they avoids sugar at all costs. we also don't eat sweet food(s). so in our case, we thin SBRs or any sauce with ACV and or water, and spices, and brush any sauce onto bbq sauced foods. the amount of sugar you are getting is very low. it's still sugar, but very low. mostly, i use a sauce for the caramelization and color. my proteins are flavored via dry or wet brines which are 100% never sugar, UNLESS i am making carne asada or pollo asado which have frozen pineapple or OJ concentrates in them, again, very thinned out for flavor and color.

i don't know your health case and don't need to know but i'm sure there's a formula which can help you count carbs using any of these food prep methods.

my dietician wants the sugar count kept to a strict number, so those little amounts of sugar here and there add up. I will be keeping this sauce around for sure.
Yeah, same here. Struggling REALLY bad with my Type II lately. Very high AM glucose counts. Even with exercise and no sweet stuff Trying a new med to replace the Ozempic that gave me so much trouble. Farxiga. Jury is out. I am on 3rd day with it. Saw one slightly improved day and now bad again.

There's a great grocery store close to us called The Fresh Market.
They carry the Kinders stuff which we've not tried yet. They also carry this stuff and we've tried two varieties. They're pretty good and no crazy laboratory ingredients either.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230202-101926_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230202-101926_Chrome.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Back