New SmokeFire, kind of. 2023 refresh.

The question that comes to mind is; Are they going to maintain 2 price point Smokefires - the Gen2 and the Sear +? We'll see.

I think they are going to (wisely) just offer this one version, although I prefer the chrome/stainless look myself. It would be a good move for Weber to consolidate a little. They have too many models of many grill lines. I am glad that we can soon get either size with the latest improvements.

As I said elsewhere, this seems to me to be just a holding pattern for 2023 while Weber tries to get in better shape. I still think a more serious redo will be needed to get the SmokeFire some real market share. I don't want to lose the SmokeFire advantages, just fix the remaining issues, primarily using much higher grade materials. This is especially true since Weber is focusing more than ever on the SmokeFire's ability to sear.

And, I will make another plea - hoping that someone at Weber reads this and gives it some thought - Why not bring out a pellet kettle? Seems so easy. Bring back the 1st generation Performer cart, add a pellet feeder (like Spider has already devised as a non-OEM hack), and put it together for a home run package! Give Recteq some competition :coolkettle: .

More pictures and information on the new Smokefire sear.

The pictures help.

And, I will make another plea - hoping that someone at Weber reads this and gives it some thought - Why not bring out a pellet kettle? Seems so easy. Bring back the 1st generation Performer cart, add a pellet feeder (like Spider has already devised as a non-OEM hack), and put it together for a home run package! Give Recteq some competition
Love you Bud but just buy a Spider no need to re-invent the wheel. By the way I doubt that would be a home run package for Weber and I doubt its a home run package for Recteq either at the price they want for it.

I know what you are saying, Brian. I agree that the Spider is cool, but if I went that route I would be more likely to do like @Dave in KC and merge a Recteq Bullseye with a stainless steel Performer cart. I do think if done right and priced moderately, it could be a success for Weber - something they need in the pellet grill arena.

I do think if done right and priced moderately, it could be a success for Weber
I think those are the exact reasons Weber won’t be able to pull it off and should not try.
Weber’s trend of skimping on the quality of parts they deem nonessential is making me look hard at other brands. I would definitely buy the aftermarket pellet kettle attached listed above. It seems very well made.

Spider says you can't use its attachment with a Performer, but I have heard (maybe seen) where people have worked around that. I suppose I would be happy with a 1st generation SSP with the Spider attachment worked into it in a way that doesn't look ridiculous. @Dave in KC did an incredible job on his "WebTec" so that it looks like it belongs.

Back