New sides!?

Timothy F. Lewis

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Doing the SRF brisket this weekend and am kind of tired of the “same old” sides. Really as much as I like them, I’m tired of Mac and cheese and beans as basics, I’m not really too worried about what will happen this weekend but, I would like to try something different, I’m thinking about a scalloped corn recipe that I’ve been tossing around in my head. But, I’d not be averse to something new in a vegetable direction.

Prosciutto wrapped asparagus sprinkled with goat cheese.

wrap, spray with a light mist of olive oil, cook indirect 9 to 11 mins @400F.

I find it works well to wrap these and put them on a SS rack, and put the whole rack on the grill, and remove the whole rack to serve.

1666738767704.png

Last edited:
Good start! Some of us like asparagus those that don’t, can just suck it! That’s ONE for me! That’s the method that I use for poppers or Twinkies or bacon jalapeños tots. Why fool with putting them on or off one at a time?

And if you don't like goat cheese (I do, so no issue for me), put a piece of provolone inside the prosciutto. 3 or 4 pieces of 'gus, wrap w/ the cheese, and then the prosciutto, then grill. Heavenly.

Well, that’s a little harsh, there are two highly regarded colleges in this city but, no culinary school true. A neighbor once hired Jacques Pépin to teach her for a week so, where many kalamazooans may not appreciate some ingredients they certainly know what they are. It’s finding some that can be daunting.
That is rather like saying people from Wisconsin only know cheese and brats! Unkind, unnecessary and, untrue. And yes, I can take a joke.

Well, that’s a little harsh, there are two highly regarded colleges in this city but, no culinary school true. A neighbor once hired Jacques Pépin to teach her for a week so, where many kalamazooans may not appreciate some ingredients they certainly know what they are. It’s finding some that can be daunting.
That is rather like saying people from Wisconsin only know cheese and brats! Unkind, unnecessary and, untrue. And yes, I can take a joke.
whoa - you were neighbors with Burton & Betty Upjohn?
way far cool!
I've read about that visit Jacques made, Mr. Upjohn called him out of the blue and Jacques needed money at the time.
And kalamazooans (and even us in battle creek) know that Upjohn pharmaceuticals eventually merged with Pharmacia, and later became part of Pfizer, before Pfizer spun the Upjohn name off in 2020.

whoa - you were neighbors with Burton & Betty Upjohn?
way far cool!
I've read about that visit Jacques made, Mr. Upjohn called him out of the blue and Jacques needed money at the time.
And kalamazooans (and even us in battle creek) know that Upjohn pharmaceuticals eventually merged with Pharmacia, and later became part of Pfizer, before Pfizer spun the Upjohn name off in 2020.
Yeah, I was across the woods that were their backyard going down the hill. Betty and Burton were customers of mine as well, Betty for picture framing, Burton for Jewelry.
I must say they were truly the most “unassuming“ clients for anything!
Actually, my wife is still working for “the company” albeit as a contractor and now (delightfully) from home.
Jacques wrote in his biography that it was his wife that said “it’s a months pay for a week!” They shopped at the Jewel store three blocks from their house and the Farmers market on Bank street!

Where's Joan? I feel like she should be popping up in here with a bunch of recipes... 😉
If you check the "side dish" recipes, on pg.1 alone, you will find at least 6 VERY GOOD recipes that I have posted ;) , with a lot of good ones to follow.

If you check the "side dish" recipes, on pg.1 alone, you will find at least 6 VERY GOOD recipes that I have posted ;) , with a lot of good ones to follow.
Joan, what fun is that!? I know that that’s what I should have done but, as I’ve freely admitted, I’m a loafer!😉
I‘ll go look there now (hanging head in embarressment)…

Joan, what fun is that!? I know that that’s what I should have done but, as I’ve freely admitted, I’m a loafer!😉
I‘ll go look there now (hanging head in embarressment)…
Tim, there are a lot of really good ones on pg. 4, (I'm checking them, that is as far as I have made it. lol)

I’m leaning toward concept not necessarily exact so, as of now, I am thinking about a fennel onion gratin, a sweet potato crunch and the earlier mentioned asparagus wraps.
i could go through the forty feet of cookbooks on my rack too, but, I’m, as previously admitted to, lazy as a blood hound on a hot rainy day!

OK lazy lol Here is the one that received over 3K views and my favorite.

Grilled Corn in the Style of Oaxaca

6 ears with fresh corn with husks
2 TB. reduced-fat or regular mayonnaise
2 TB. fat-free or regular sour cream
3 TB. finely grated Parmesan cheese
1 to 2 TB. chili powder
2 limes, cut into wedges
Vegetable cooking spray
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp.pepper

1. Prepare a hot fire by piling charcoal on one side of grill, leaving other side empty. (For gas grills, light only one side of grill.)
2. Remove heavy outer husks from corn; pull back inner husks. Remove and discard silks. Tie inner husks together with string.
3. Stir together mayonnaise and sour cream in a small bowl, and set aside. Place Parmesan cheese, chili powder, and lime wedges in small serving bowls and set aside.
4. Coat each corn cob lightly with cooking spray. Sprinkle corn evenly with salt and pepper. Position corn on food grate of grill so that tied husks lie on unlit side to prevent burning husks.
5. Grill corn, covered with grill lid, over medium-high heat (350 to 300F) 10 minutes or until golden brown, turning occasionally. Place grilled corn on a platter.
6. Spread corn evenly with mayonnaise mixture, and sprinkle evenly with cheese and chili powder. Squeeze lime wedges over corn.

Source: Southern Living - June 2004 - Steven Raichlen

This also received 3 K viewers and also one of my favorite,

Blue Cheese Cole Slaw
(serves 12)

1 (16oz) package shredded coleslaw mix
2 cups seedless RED grapes, halved
1/2 cup shredded carrot (if not in the coleslaw mix)
1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup prepared Dijon-style mustard
1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese
2 TB white sugar
2 TB cider vinegar

In a large bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, mustard, cheese, sugar and vinegar. Add the coleslaw mix, grapes and carrots and stir until evenly coated. Chill until serving.

Source: Allrecipes.com - Sara - CLBB - Pammela

Back