New Project

JonAlex

Hello,
I just picked up a Red gas grill from the 90's I think...10 minutes away from my house and the price was right....free! It had been on CL for 6 hours and I was the first to contact them. I figured it would have been gone. What I didn't notice until I brought it home was a completely break/crack on the lid "hinge". Pic attached. I'm not a welder but thinking this would be a quick weld - no idea of the cost tho....hopefully cheaper than buying a brand new side. Anyone done this?
Anyhow, the "before" pics attached, hopefully the "after" pics won't be too long coming.....
Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_5009.JPG
    IMG_5009.JPG
    161 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_5005.JPG
    IMG_5005.JPG
    219.9 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_5003.JPG
    IMG_5003.JPG
    267.4 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_5013.JPG
    IMG_5013.JPG
    91.9 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_5014.JPG
    IMG_5014.JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 81
Welcome Jon!

I don't think you can fix that problem with a weld. Too much stress on that spot, although I know next to nothing about welding aluminum.

My suggestion is to search out a donor grill or someone here who can help you with a replacement end cap. They are still fairly common. Don't let this hiccup get you down, because although your grill looks tired out - that's why it was free, right?! - it has great potential to be a beautiful WEber grill again :coolkettle: .

You will find lots of information here if you take time to look through our "sticky" threads and do some searching. We are all glad to give our best suggestions, but we aren't know it alls. We are all here to learn and share!

Hello,
I just picked up a Red gas grill from the 90's I think...10 minutes away from my house and the price was right....free! It had been on CL for 6 hours and I was the first to contact them. I figured it would have been gone. What I didn't notice until I brought it home was a completely break/crack on the lid "hinge". Pic attached. I'm not a welder but thinking this would be a quick weld - no idea of the cost tho....hopefully cheaper than buying a brand new side. Anyone done this?
Anyhow, the "before" pics attached, hopefully the "after" pics won't be too long coming.....
Cheers!
If there is a serial # call weber and tell them you are original owner. I traveled an hour each way for a grill and it had nice holes in the fire box. I called on Saturday and they are supposedly shipping a new one! The lid and FB had a 25 year warranty.

Can't weld cast aluminum. Grill is put together backwards but you have a start. You will need patience to find a parts donor

Can't weld cast aluminum. Grill is put together backwards but you have a start. You will need patience to find a parts donor
The wheels are on the wrong side, but the sticker and tank gage are correct. How would you get this to be correct?

I agree. Those lids are a dime a dozen and you should be able to find a donor grill pretty easily.

Thanks for all your input. I called a bbq shop here and they couldn't figure out the exact year. I believe it's a Genesis 1000.
Model 210000 Serial number EZ 494998. Thinking mid 90's. Two sets of flavorizer bars, the long/short criss cross set up.
Red, although the lid doesn't look as shiny as my 1998 series 3200 Blue Platinum1. When I told the guy this he said it may be post 2000 when they started using different chemicals that didn't retain the enamel's shine like the old ones. Haven't brought out the simply green yet tho. The model # on my blue one is 231709, so wouldn't that mean the 210000 is earlier? Anyway, he was thinking the part I needed has been discontinued.
The left end cap on the lid is the part I need and I may be out of luck. I don't see a lot of these on CL, or wherever. Does anyone know if those end caps were the same size for a few years running or did they change more often than not. I guess I need the part number and for that I need the year? Any thoughts on this is greatly appreciated.
And here is a timely dad joke.....
Q) Where did Luke Skywalker go to get his replacement arm?
A) The secondhand store.
Why is this timely? May the fourth.....

Genesis 1000 saga...
So the Red lid was warped and had a hole in it (see above pic)........too bad but out it went. Found a black lid nat gas Genesis 1000 with the side attachment I needed (as stated above because I you can't weld aluminum, thank you) Bought that for $70. (The red bbq was free) Swapped out the red lid for the black lid and figured I was done. But then realized I did not have a manifold support bracket....looked around but no sign of it. Apparently they are also out of stock online and at our local shop. So back to craigslist to find one. And presto, there was a Green 1998 Genesis Platinum Series 3200 listed on CL for free. (I already have a blue one) Three bbq's later, I will have what looks to be a decent pieced together bbq. I'm going to swap out the short non side burner control frame for the longer side burner frame, but just have another tray instead of a side burner. I am assuming these are all standard frames and will fit together without problems. So almost done....lots of spare parts left over, but thinking I may give my home for wayward webers a rest for now and actually recycle some of the parts.
Maybe a final pic when finished - the custom job gleaming in the sun.....and if I don't blow up when I light it for the first time!

Attachments

• IMG_5116.JPG
    IMG_5116.JPG
    153.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_5234.JPG
    IMG_5234.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_5232.JPG
    IMG_5232.JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_5233.JPG
    IMG_5233.JPG
    101.2 KB · Views: 38
Most stuff is interchangeable, put can not put 13 bar box on silver frame and vice-a-versa from what I understand. I really like the green hood.

Flash back from a year ago....Green Platinum Series project restarted and almost done. Need to stain the wood and perhaps a spar varnish.
Open to suggestions.

Welcome to the joys and relative Hades of the gas grill domain! Find as many donors as you can for as little as possible and start a ”Parts“ corner in the garage or a whole shed? Many parts are surprisingly interchangeable, except the one you might really need at the moment, hence the “shed”. Bruce and Jon have such an amazing and generous collective knowledge, you can ask and almost anything (almost) will doubtless be answered by a search here. I have learned more than I had ever expected through the kind folks here.
I can only say have fun, go slowly, ask before you jump too quickly. Asking the question may save hours of work! I almost painted the inside of a firebox but, Bruce saved my bacon on that!

Good looking grill. I have a 1998 platinum series with a black lid. I'm guessing you swapped the wood from another grill to the green one because the platinum series came with durawood which I also decided to ditch. That wood looks to be in nice shape except for some stains that you're probably never going to get off. If it were me and I didn't want to make new wood for it, I think I would probably just use a good quality deck stain on it. It will look nice and cover up the stains while retaining a classic look.

Good looking grill. I have a 1998 platinum series with a black lid. I'm guessing you swapped the wood from another grill to the green one because the platinum series came with durawood which I also decided to ditch. That wood looks to be in nice shape except for some stains that you're probably never going to get off. If it were me and I didn't want to make new wood for it, I think I would probably just use a good quality deck stain on it. It will look nice and cover up the stains while retaining a classic look.
Yes this the result of three grills. I now have an extra few frame parts, and also a stash of screws, igniters, knobs, handles etc.

JonAlex,
That’s looking to be a sharp early Platinum. It looks like you could use new decals for the fuel gauge that goes on the frame leg and the warning one that goes on the scale itself. Private message me and I can tell you what I have to help with that.

Depending on your climate and whether this grill will be kept outside, you might want to consider a combination of stain and then soar urethane. There are pros and cons to that, but several coats of spar will help repel water and make clean up easier.

Definitely use spar if you're using any polyurethane. I used non-spar on mine years ago, and this year I hope to finally sand my slats down, restain and then spar them. Actually, I think I had used automotive clear coat somewhere down there too, which also didn't work. I'm looking forward to sanding, staining and sparring my slats. They are peeling and really not attractive right now. Others use teak oil I believe, and there are other approaches for the wood slats too depending on what kind of wood you're using, desired finish and longevity, et cetera.

Back