TVWBB Gold Member
Today marks the two year anniversary of my Smokefire ownership. Like many of you, I wondered if I was making a mistake. Like many of you I had researched the grill online and followed the struggles of owners here on The Virtual Weber Bulletin Board. I had researched a lot. I thought I knew what I was getting into with this new design. I didn't have a clue and thus began an intense learning period. I removed the hopper finger guard and put UHMW tape on the long slope floor in the pellet hopper. That greatly reduced the flameout problem but I was always looking forward to the next update of the software. I ran tests and studied the start sequence with the internals removed so I could watch the fire pot. I've had a lot of fun experimenting with the grill. It's not perfect, and can be temperamental, but the capabilities and flavor it puts into meat are very hard to compete with. The software will continue to improve and I think that's the key to Smokefire popularity. Here it is with the heavily modified Camp Chef DLX it replaced.