New member in southern Idaho

Jeff Boone

Mountain Home to be exact. Nice little town, close enough to Boise to get to the few "city" things I need, but far enough away to avoid the city nonsense. I just escaped moved here from Portland a few months ago after I retired. Never married, no kids, just a pair of knuckleheaded older dogs.

In Portland I had an older Weber classic 22" kettle for many years. I did mostly (98%) steaks, burgers, brats and chicken parts on it. I tried smoking some salmon once or twice, it came out all right but not great. Subsequent research led me to believe that I left out a couple of steps. Anyway, about 10 years ago my next door neighbor bought himself a new Weber 22" kettle. Then his wife decided that "they" wanted a gas grill instead. So the kettle went into his garage, never even unboxed. When they moved away a couple years later he gifted it to me, and it sat in my garage for another couple years, still unboxed. Then one day I was out in the back yard trying to break up a dog fight (long story), and I lost my balance and fell over right onto the kettle. Folded the legs up beyond repair and even caved in the lid of the thing. "No problem" I figure, since I've got another brand new one just waiting in the garage. So I drug it out and put it together, and shortly discovered that even though it was packaged in what seemed to be a real Weber box, it was in fact a knockoff, probably Chinese. It didn't have the ash sweeper / lower damper, instead it had two vents of the same type as the lid, so 3 in total. It didn't have the heat shield on the lid handle, and there were a couple other little things that just weren't quite the same. Even so, I put it into service and it worked adequately for another year or two. But when I moved over here, it got left behind.

So I found myself in need of a new grill. Being newly retired and having a lot more free time, I wanted to at least have the capability of doing some low and slow cooking in addition to my usual high-temp grilling. I did a lot of research, comparing charcoal vs pellet grills, and came to the conclusion that either one could handle both the high-temp and low & slow tasks. And since the pellet grills cost 3 or 4 times the price, and given my previous enjoyment of the real Weber kettle (and that my income is like half of what it was before I retired), I settled on a 22" Performer Premium. I've only had it for a few weeks now and only cooked on it 3 or 4 times (just steaks and burgers so far), but I think I'm going to like it.

Welcome Jeff

We love stories, pics of grills, pets and food.

And at least one here loves recipes.

Looking forward to yours.

What's your next cook planned?

Gotta be pretty soon. I've got a pair of NY steaks in the fridge that I picked up 3 days ago. They won't last forever. My brother lives about 60 miles away and is due to visit. If he can do that soon enough we'll have steaks for dinner. If not then I guess I'll have to share them with the dogs.

20230421_183547[1].jpg

Hey Jeff - welcome to the forum. Lots of weber kettle users and fans on the forum here. I think it's the perfect grill for someone who doesn't cook huge amounts of food at once and likes to both smoke and grill. Dog photos are always good too. I like having 2 dogs since they make their own fun sometimes. I like to call it "fight club".

Back