New member from Columbus, GA.

DennisJeter

Hi to all. Kettle and WSM owner for a number of years. Hoping to learn more and maybe even contribute to the community.

Hello Dennis - John from St. Louis MO here. The Kettle & WSM are a great combo for the backyard. I really enjoyed using the Vortex when I was using a kettle. Are you using a vortex or SNS or are you "old school" BBQ Pit Boys style? It's crazy to think that the pit boys made their first videos over 14 years ago..

Hey, John

I do use the vortex along with a cast iron center insert. Makes for some great tasting steaks. I do like searing then finishing off on the side. Not sure about all the rave about reverse searing. I was taught that searing locked in the juices, then you can bring up to desired doneness. Also, I use the MEATER+ to get it just right.

Thanks for the welcome. I have the 18. Also, wife and I love St. George. Especially the state park.
I have an 18" and 22" WSM, both are great smokers.
State Park on the east end is beautiful. We camped at the park numerous times, before buying a house on the island.

Next time you're on the island let me know. We can meetup at Paddy's for oysters and beer.

Cheers

Hey, John

I do use the vortex along with a cast iron center insert. Makes for some great tasting steaks. I do like searing then finishing off on the side. Not sure about all the rave about reverse searing. I was taught that searing locked in the juices, then you can bring up to desired doneness. Also, I use the MEATER+ to get it just right.
I did a pretty good rant "against" reverse searing somewhere on this forum. Luckily the rant wasn't too controversial and other forum members were understanding.... I'm probably batting 0.300 or less with Rev sear and close to 1.000 with other steak grilling methods. I think Rev Sear is the right thing for REALLY thick steaks, but most of the time I'm in that 1 to 1.25" range where it's better to just keep flippin' or sear and move over to a indirect 300 to 350 F temp zone.

I LOVE the vortex.. There are some Slow N' Sear fans here too. I've used both and I think the Vortex is more fun to use. I still use my Vortex in my WSK sometimes and gave my SNS away to a good friend...

Back