New Member - 1st Grill purchase, need advice

Hi all, I just posted this on the new member forum but thought it might get more traction here...

Been looking around for a good buy. For my first project I want something that's not going to need a ton of work. Came across this but it's a 2.5 hour drive each way. $135 (non negotiated) Only considering it because of the price and condition...is this worth it in your guys opinion?

plat-genny.jpg

Like I said in my “welcome” post, get it! Or tell me where it is if it’s toward Kalamazoo.
As long as the firebox is sound, everything else can be restored if need be. If it’s as clean as this shot shows, I’d be on the road for it right now!

A way above average find for sure! Welcome to TVWBB. We will look forward to pictures and helping you along the way to making it like new:coolkettle:

That is a great grill for a personal rehab. It looks complete and in great shape for a late 1990's Genesis 3000-4000.

But, if the price hasn't been negotiated yet, then I would throw an even $100 bill out there and see what happens.

Alright - locked it in. Pickup Saturday morning. More pictures below... ALSO take a look at what I found 30 minutes down the road for $85 - thoughts?

pic.jpg

pic-1.jpg

pic-2.jpg

And 30 minutes down the road for $85...

pic-4.jpg

pic-5.jpg

pic-6.jpg

Dang, you are on a roll. Again, if you are interested in purchasing it, offer $60. Both of those are very nice finds. Is the second one wood slats or is that Durawood?

Well Unfortunately I went the other direction and gave him the $150 he had just dropped from lol... He had originally posted for $200 and I needed him to hold it until Sat morning. Still happy at $150 based on what else I was seeing in the market.

Let me know what you think on the other one for $85 :)

If you like the first one at $150, then the second one for $85 is great. It looks like the flavorizer bars and cooking greats are in good usable condition and you shouldn't have to put much into it other than time and elbow grease to get it cooking some cow flesh.

Unless you are trying to buy multiple grills, since you've committed to the $150 grill, go grab it and have fun with it. Cook up a storm and buy a nice cover for it.

If you keep looking for other grills you'll almost always find a better deal.

They're both great finds. Funny about the gray one being "rare" I threw one in the garbage not long ago. I could not give it away. Offered it for cost of shipping put it on FB Marketplace, CL and so on for FREE not a single taker. It was in perfect shape except for the wood too. Anyway I would jump on both. Having two sidewiner old school Genesis grills is a plus. Especially if you want to get into different types of cooking for the same meal. Dual grills is a wonderful thing

They're both great finds. Funny about the gray one being "rare" I threw one in the garbage not long ago. I could not give it away. Offered it for cost of shipping put it on FB Marketplace, CL and so on for FREE not a single taker. It was in perfect shape except for the wood too. Anyway I would jump on both. Having two sidewiner old school Genesis grills is a plus. Especially if you want to get into different types of cooking for the same meal. Dual grills is a wonderful thing

You live in the land of Weber. What is rare to most of us, you may see 3 of on the way to the grocery store.
Did you bother to post that lid here on our fair board?

Matt,

Cool! Those are both great finds. I have to say, though, that you better watch out...you are catching Weberitous:eek:! It can fill your yard with grill projects faster than you think;)!

Well Unfortunately I went the other direction and gave him the $150 he had just dropped from lol... He had originally posted for $200 and I needed him to hold it until Sat morning. Still happy at $150 based on what else I was seeing in the market.

Let me know what you think on the other one for $85 :)

I would have paid $150 in a minute for the first one been looking for a 4000 for years and I love the Green lid its different the second one is another find not seen either in the ATL that has lasted very long. I consider those colors rare like Dave as it seems 95% or higher down here they are black with the dreaded fade. I did snag two red heads years ago and one of those lids is on my Silver C.

I still lust for the elusive Blue maybe someday. You did good would not hesitate to snag the Grey one either.

Those grey or Mauve lids seem to show up on the Genesis 5000 grills most of the time. I don't live all that far from Chicago, but rarely if ever have seen the grey lid or that particular green one in my neighborhood. I really don't think it is an Illinois thing as Weber has always had a great logistics and marketing model and they got their grills into many national retailers all over the country.

They did come up with a few special edition grills that might have been more of a local thing like their Snap On grills and others. But, I think that all of their base grills were pretty well spread around the country. Of course, it could be there are just more Weber grills overall in a state like Illinois since that is their home base. But even the Skyline grills I see all over the country even though the logo is unique to Chicago.

Back