New Lid Bale for Performer Item 65188

Brian B Atlanta

TVWBB Gold Member
I know this has been discussed before but just did this today as I was sick of the lid tilting the way it did in the bale that came with the grill. I bought from Weber think they did give me a bit of a discount so it was $35.23 with shipping and taxes think on Amazon it was 39 bucks and change plus tax but I was in no hurry.

So a couple of hints the top 2 nuts came out very easy the bottom one with a wrench and a ratchet would move and I was determined not to strip those nuts and at the worst just drill the bolt head out but I grabbed my breaker bar with the 7/16 socket and it broke free but it snapped so basically the bolt head was still welded to the vertical piece and the screw threads were still attached to the nut but no matter it was out.

Not sure what Weber was thinking the instructions were for the old bale and the parts are different for the old one the short piece went against the bowl in the new one it goes before the long piece in a specific orientation which maybe I am an idiot could not figure it out so went down to the local Ace which good for them carries performers so you can actually see one took a picture assuming they put it together correctly and my Ace is pretty good but I verifed this by finding a manual online and Ace put it together correctly.

I still am searching for a used Weber Charcoal Summit but I have decided no matter what I will keep the performer use them both for larger cooks which to be honest does not happen very often will not need the table on the Summit if I keep it and since I have gas assist on the performer good there.

Attachments

• IMG_1262.JPG
    IMG_1262.JPG
    193.4 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_1261.JPG
    IMG_1261.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_1260.JPG
    IMG_1260.JPG
    203.8 KB · Views: 69
Is that how the small piece goes? I just got the upgrade bail for my Performer, which looks pretty much identical to yours. I was kind of stymied by the small piece, and found a way to mount it between the larger piece and the bowl, though it seemed to make no sense. I guess I need to reconfigure it. :/

Yea that's how it goes. I just bought a Performer and I double checked the directions while assembling it.

I still am searching for a used Weber Charcoal Summit but I have decided no matter what I will keep the performer use them both for larger cooks which to be honest does not happen very often will not need the table on the Summit if I keep it and since I have gas assist on the performer good there.
Also thinking of adding a E-6 Weber Charcoal Summit along-side my Weber Performer Deluxe however finding a used one here in Costa Rica is rare as discovering gold. A Costa Rican Weber Authorized Dealership is selling a new one for $1400.00. Ouch!

Is that how the small piece goes? I just got the upgrade bail for my Performer, which looks pretty much identical to yours. I was kind of stymied by the small piece, and found a way to mount it between the larger piece and the bowl, though it seemed to make no sense. I guess I need to reconfigure it. :/
You’re not the only one!
2BECFA58-87FD-4212-80F6-C3FF23A2DF42.png

I’m happy to report that I reconfigured the small part properly this past weekend. I was a little concerned that the locknut wasn’t going to come off cleanly, as it felt like it wanted to grab on tightly (being a locknut, after all), but with some gentle persistence it came free and allowed me to flip the piece around.

From what I can tell that piece keeps the lid from bottoming out and prevents the top of the lid from getting scratched.
I was surprised because the nuts and that one bolt look galvanized...

From what I can tell that piece keeps the lid from bottoming out and prevents the top of the lid from getting scratched.
I was surprised because the nuts and that one bolt look galvanized...
The bolt is not stainless for sure the nut and washer is slightly magnetic at least mine is and the one I took off was not stainless either. If you think about it maybe I am wrong the lid would tilt slightly more upright with that small piece not being against the bowl as the bale would be slightly more tilted away not much with the small piece inside.

Bob I used a bit of anti seize on the threads that went into the bowl so that locknut should come off with no problem down the road but really not sure why you would ever take it off again after its properly installed. Really kind of silly they did not include the current directions probably a ton of us that installed it incorrectly.

Bruce and Richard even in ATL those Summit Charcoals almost never show up there was one about a year and a half ago missed it someone posted it in buy and sell did not even last a day if I remember it was the higher end model they asked $1k sure they got it I would have paid that think it was $1799 new. Not sure anyone who bought one and those are buyers who knew what they were getting never seen one in the flesh not carried in my Ace thats for sure would sell it unless maybe you moved to a Condo or whatever and can't use charcoal.

Looks good Brian!

Same here on the Summit charcoal grilling center. I never see them come up for sale. One in the next town over from me just sold on ebay for $1,050 but the seller only posted the generic Weber photo in the listing. I am not sure who would have proceeded with that purchase without seeing actual photos unless they contacted the seller and saw it in person?
But that has been the cheapest I have seen and it is still more than I want to spend.

I've seen a grand total of 4 Summit Kamado stations for sale within a few hours drive (100 miles) in the last 6 months, all in the $1,000 to $1,200 range.

Brian, so the bail washers that go inside the bowl weren't aluminum? I just bought the hardware kit (needed the rollers) and the washers were thick aluminum.

Charlie, was that the Summit on eBay? I remember seeing one with just stock photos and thinking the same thing.

Charlie, was that the Summit on eBay? I remember seeing one with just stock photos and thinking the same thing.
Yup. I forgot about the cost for shipping. $8.55?
Just strange. Why not just list local pick up?
Made me think about one of those scams where you just get a printed picture of the grill.

Attachments

• 31547A02-4239-4688-A43C-C39CDA4795EB.png
    31547A02-4239-4688-A43C-C39CDA4795EB.png
    319.9 KB · Views: 7
Yah, he has a 100% rating but only 17 ratings. There are people on Ebay that will sell really cheap items for a good price and boost their ratings. Then they list some expensive stuff and default on it and just disappear only to open an other Ebay account and start all over.

Back