New Jersey > Somerville: Smokehouse BBQ

Matt H

TVWBB Fan
I ate here not too long ago and was pretty disappointed. The fried pickles were delicious, but the bbq itself was pretty bad.

I had the brisket sandwich, which was sliced the way I like it, but it was just gray meat on soggy bread. No bark, no smoke ring, almost as if it were cooked in an oven...which is what I suspect. The place is on a main street in a connected building almost like a strip mall and I don't see any room for a commercial smoker. The area around the restaurant doesn't even smell like any bbq is being cooked.

I might go back again for the pickles and to try the ribs. I can't shun a restaurant on one experience. I usually give them three strikes. Who knows, I might have just caught them on a bad night.

http://www.smokehousebbqnj.com/

Sad to say, but there really aren't any good BBQ joints that I have found here in NJ. I'd say "fair" at best is about what you'll find.

Mighty Quinns just opened a location in Clifton. Able to sample a few things the first week. Not enough to give a review of the place though.

Back