New here.

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I just wanted to say Hello. I have been grilling for a while with a Weber Kettle and I just recently found this web site and love it.

Unfortunately I can't afford a WSM right now, so I bought the best, closest immitation WSM I could find. Hopefully I can get a WSM by Christmas. I is made by Masterbuilt and can be found at Wallyworld for about $50.00. It does have the same basic features as the WSM, just not the thick metal, the Porcelin coating and the Weber quality. I hope nobody minds to much, trust me I will get a WSM eventually.

Anyways, I got to go so I talk back later.

Many of us started with an el cheapo...I sure did.
You can make good q on it, but you'll love the weber when you get it. It does make a difference.

C.J.
As Jim mentioned, there's no shame in starting with a cheapo... it's actually a lot more embarassing starting out with an expensive model then finding out the WSM actually works better! /infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif

Enjoy the forum, you will probably learn alot here. I know I learn something new every time I log on to this site! Great bunch of people.

Welcome to the forum,

-Rich

I did my first real Q on an ECB, even though I didn't know that's what it was called at the time. I had good/OK results, but I achieved them by monitoring the ECB constantly throughout the cook. Now that I have a WSM, and have a dozen or more cooks under my belt, I have it pretty much "dialed in" and can fire it up and go about my business for over-an-hour at a time, knowing that the WSM will stay relatively stable without me having to "camp out" on the patio.

I had a ECB that I got for free, I used it a couple of times and got tired of watching the fire like a hawk. Then when I went to look at the WSM, I couldn't afford it so I figured I would just do without, until I saw the El Cheapo MasterBuilt I currently have at Wally World and decided it would be better than the ECB until I get some more free cash.

This whole lack of free cash thing is caused by a bigger purchase; my first house.

Thanks for all the welcome replys. I have been on some boards (not BBQ related) where they treat newbies like dirt. I hate that.

I started with a borrowed ECB. It did OK for short cooks, like ribs. Then I tried to do a 7lb brisket flat and had a disaster on my hands. I had to wait untill I got my taxes back to get the Weber. I sure don't miss tending to the coals every 1/2 hour. Worth every penny.
Gary T.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I did my first real Q on an ECB, even though I didn't know that's what it was called at the time. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Pardon my ignorance (God, this is embarassing), but what is Q and what is ECB? I see both terms used a lot, an educated guess tells me ECB is a brand of smoker, but which one? As far as Q goes...(I'm probably gonna put my foot in my mouth here...)is it a term for a butt or a brisket? /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Q is just shorthand for any BBQ.

An ECB is an "El Cheapo Brinkmann", a smoker similar in shape to the WSM, but extremely lacking in temperature control ability the WSM is so famous for.

Brinkmann actually called them a Cajun Cooker, I think. They also had a recall on them for fire hazard and dangerously sharp edges on the legs.

I have found my people!!! I have the ECB I think it was the Wal-Mart Special that week...Sportsmann Grill and Smoker. I was drooling over at the Cook Shack forum and one of the gents there was kinda enough to give me the url..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Q is just shorthand for any BBQ <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Duh...I knew I was gonna feel stupid...but thanks!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Randy Parr:
[qb]Duh...I knew I was gonna feel stupid...but thanks! [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>C'mon, everybody here started from the same place. Just remember these three things:

1) There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers.
2) It's not a sin to be stupid, but it is to act stupid.
3) Stupid is as stupid does. -- Forrest Gump

OK, that last one doesn't apply, but I couldn't resist. /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back