New Heatermeter build not working

Chris Hu

Hi Folks!

I just finished assembling my kit yesterday and have been troubleshooting why it's not working ever since unfortunately. I am really looking forward to using it but need some help with my investigation.

I am using a pi zero w and it fires up fine through the heatermeter board, boots to the sdcard, gets on the wireless, and I can access the web interface. Unfortunately, it seems as if the microcontroller is not working as I get the dreaded:

Code:
Tue Jun 22 19:30:12 2021 user.warn linkmeterd: No response from HeaterMeter, running avrupdate
Tue Jun 22 19:30:12 2021 user.err linkmeterd: avrupdate failed

It would appear that I have continuity between the respective pi and HM RX & TX points. I do not, however, see any of the 3.3V points register 3.3V on the multimeter. I have a feeling this is my issue and I am at a loss as to how to fix it. I have re-flowed the solder joints and can't seem to get that 3.3V coming through (assuming I should be able to measure it).

Here is the back of my HM board for reference:
PXL_20210622_184811984.jpg

Thanks in advance for the help!

Since they look quite similar, first thing to check is too make sure the 3.3V regulator it s the correct part MPC1700, and not one of the transistors BS170.

I totally goofed and flipped one... Shrug. It's funny because I read about it and looked at Q1 Q2 and Q5, since I could see them, and verified that they were all BS170's so the regulator had to be correct (right?). Turns out I forgot there was also a BS170 on the lcd/button board.

Time to get to soldering. Thanks!! I'll post an update if it works afterward. Hopefully I didn't burn anything out.

Well, I ordered some new regulators and MOSFETs. Couldn't get those puppies out without breaking the legs :( Sad times, but I'm glad I know what the problem is! Thanks for the help

Back