New Cookbox was "Repairing holes in Summit Cook Box"

Mark Burnett

UPDATE: Thanks to the support from this forum I requested and received a warranty replacement cookbox a little over a week after contacting them! jump to here to see the new cookbox.

Hi: It's my first post. Thanks for letting me join your forum! I have a Summit 660 Grill Center that I purchased in March 2012. I was cleaning it last night and I noticed some rust holes in the inner front face of the cook box that would be normally hidden by the flavor bars. The holes are similar to the picture below (I borrowed the picture from another post). I have reached out to Weber to see about a warranty replacement cookbox, but if that doesn't work, is this something I should try and repair? I do have a welder and I suppose is could weld a patch--assuming this is steel and not stainless steel.

Thanks.

Summit Rusted Firebox front.jpg

Last edited:
You have found the curse of the Summit. It should be under warranty IIRC the 660 is the built in version of the 670. Call Weber. If you are the original owner they'll help you and if not they might anyway

Thank you. I am the original owner. I may have the model number wrong as mine is not built in but stand alone. But i give my serial number when communicating with the manufacturer.

Most definitely. That is a 3rd generation Summit so parts should still be there. At least from the model you gave I believe it's a 3rd gen Summit. If it's actually a 1st gen 650 sadly even though it's technically under warranty you'd be SOL

Thank you. Below is a picture from Amazon of what I have, but purchased new in 2012. When I input my serial number into the Weber site and search for spare parts the cookbox comes back as no. 64847 Cookbox Summit, 660/670 '13. But there is no price displayed. Elsewhere is see it listed for $500-600, which is why I asked about repairing. Hopefully Weber will do something on warranty.

1603483214065.png

This is a known issue with many, but not all, Summit grills. There was discussion in this recent thread about fabricating a "patch" to extend the life of these grills, but to the best of my knowledge no one has actually done so.

Weber does not list all parts prices online. They say they have to many to list. You have to call them to see if it is available and if it is they will quote you a price at that time.

Though be sure ask for the Warranty at that time.

the initial response back from Weber is that my cookbox is no longer under warranty :(. I am pushing back with them.

I did register my grill on their website using my serial number, and the warranty information they have on the website is slightly different from what my paper owners manual says. Both versions say the stainless shroud and aluminum castings have 25 year warranty. But my paper owners manual also has porcelain-enameled shroud at 25 years but the website version has omitted this specific item. I assume the steel piece that has burned through is porcelain-enamel. Someone did point out elsewhere (either this thread or another) that the cookbox part is an assembly and not available as aluminum castings separate from the porcelain-enamel steel sub-parts. I will be a little disappointed if the cookbox falls into the "all remaining parts" category with a warranty of 2 years!

Thanks for all the help so far!

So I got the warranty replacment cookbox today! What a great result.

Any recommendations what I can do before installation or during use to extend the lifetime?

1604352447330.png

Any recommendations what I can do before installation or during use to extend the lifetime?

View attachment 17137
I don't think there is much you can do prior to install. It's cast aluminum on the ends and porcelain enameled steel on the body.

Once you start using it try to keep it clean to prevent flare-ups.

Try not to scratch or mar the porcelain surfaces. Be careful with any tools.

Most important - enjoy it. It will last for years.

Thank you. I do notice that the corrosion/holes do seem to be located where the flavorizer bars are. I will be careful that they don't scratch the front (or back--but I don't seem to have the problem at the back). I have been periodically using my summit for making pizzas--I put stones on the grates and crank up the heat to about 600F as measured by the thermometer. I'm sure it's hotter right at the grates. Could this high/trapped heat have a negative effect on the porcelain enamel? I suppose I could get a dedicated pizza oven...

Unless you cover the 50% or more of the grill surfaces with a pizza stone you shouldn't have a problem with airflow.

Just keep an eye on the thermometer. The grill should be able to hold at the desired temperature with adjustments to the burners.

View attachment 17137
Mark, I realize this is a couple years old, but I have a question about that cookbox you received from Weber. Can you tell me the part number of it? Is it part #64847 and does it come with everything in the photo above?

Mark, I realize this is a couple years old, but I have a question about that cookbox you received from Weber. Can you tell me the part number of it? Is it part #64847 and does it come with everything in the photo above?
Yes it came with everything pictured--the whole cook box--top and bottom. I think it also came with a small mounting hardware kit. But this wasn't much. I remember that I changed the pivots for the top to some stainless pins I had. Part number is 64847 Cookbox, Summit 660/670 '13

Back