PitDroid: An Android app for your HeaterMeter

Yeah, it's certainly possible I broke it during the big update. I'm getting all my Android development stuff updated now so I can test it out.

I don't have access to my smoker right now, so I haven't really been using my Heatermeter. That said, I'm not sure how PitDroid could crash the Heatermeter, I'm just using the normal API calls. Maybe there's some kind of bug that's causing it to access it too frequently? I can take a look.

And Ralph, if you want a peak temp higher than 350 just change it in the settings.

I ran my HM without pitdroid this weekend and it till timed out. I think it has to do with my RPi.

I had my first run with my HM and pit droid today.

It worked for 5 minutes and now nothing shows up.

Is there anything I should look for to fix this?

Crashes repeatedly shortly after I open it. Won't stay running long enough to be usable on my android. I have excluded pitdroid from battery optimization to be sure that wasn't killing it, but it didn't help at all. Web version works fine.

I hate to say it as this app was great, but I think it is dead. The op hasn't posted in over a year...maybe someone smarter than me can create a new one?

It is great, but for me heatermeter isn't worth it without an app. Despite loving my heatermeter I've been window shopping commercial alternatives.

What do you really need an app for? I have been fully able to do what I need to do with my cellphone accessing the web UI of my heatermeter.

What do you really need an app for? I have been fully able to do what I need to do with my cellphone accessing the web UI of my heatermeter.
Alarms. My smoker runs all hours of the day, often when I'm asleep. I need that alarm to wake me up when the food is done or the pit temp is out of spec.

Alarms. My smoker runs all hours of the day, often when I'm asleep. I need that alarm to wake me up when the food is done or the pit temp is out of spec.
Have you tried to set up the existing HeaterMeter email/sms tie-in for notifications? I agree a fully tied-in app would be a big bonus, but for me personally there are many more advantages that tip the scale against any commercial solution that I'm aware of.
For alarms I've got the HM tied into Home Assistant, which can then do pretty much anything when a trigger is met. For example I can have it set off an audible alarm, turn on my bedroom lamp, send me an email, make an announcement over Alexa, or do pretty much anything with any smart device in my house. Home Assistant is very powerful, but does take a bit of work to get working correctly and it probably wouldn't be worth it if this was your only intended use.

Ok, well that is easily sorted with an app called pushover. I was already using it for my home automation (Domoticz), but you can directly configure the API key from Pushover to Heatermeter, and then configure which alarms you want to send push notifications to your phone, and then use your phone to define the sounds etc that you want with those alarms.

You don't need any home automation system for that, pushover works directly with Heatermeter. Although I would be interested to learn how Kai G hooked it up to Home Assistant, I guess a similar approach could work with Domoticz as well.

PitDroid seems to work just fine for me, Moto G7 Power, recently updated to Android 10. And PitDroid didn't get the "not compatible or tested with" during the upgrade, like another app did.

Ok, well that is easily sorted with an app called pushover. I was already using it for my home automation (Domoticz), but you can directly configure the API key from Pushover to Heatermeter, and then configure which alarms you want to send push notifications to your phone, and then use your phone to define the sounds etc that you want with those alarms.

You don't need any home automation system for that, pushover works directly with Heatermeter. Although I would be interested to learn how Kai G hooked it up to Home Assistant, I guess a similar approach could work with Domoticz as well.
Pushover is new to me, but sounds nice so I'll check it out.
As for my Home Assistant tie-in I just followed the readme on the HeaterMeter custom sensor that someone smarter than me built. It works great.

I forgot to come back here and update the post, but I did update PitDroid in September 2020 to fix an issue that magically appeared with the latest Android updates. I didn't add any new features, I basically just updated the Android libraries it uses to the latest versions and the problems went away.

I ended up switching to a Green Mountain pellet smoker last year because I'm lazy, but I kept my Heatermeter hardware and I'll keep the app working if anything goes wrong. I probably won't do any non-bugfix updates unless I get an itch to play around with Android again though. That said, if anyone wants to contribute the code is all open-source and on GitHub, feel free to dig in.

Back