New 22" WSM owner. Only 1 cook in, did they upgrade the lid thermometer?

Myk McCormick

TVWBB Member
Being my first post here, I'd like to start this with a huge Thanks! Through this forum and the TVWB website, I've gotten off to a great start!

http://imgur.com/a/mYpPa (<- pics from my inaugural smoke)
qcVogbP.jpg

Yb1qT0v.jpg

To my question: After the insane amount of research I've done here and around the interwebs, I fully expected to throw out whatever the factory lid thermometer told me due to everyone's complete and total mistrust of it. Problem is, I kept testing it as the cook went on, and it seemed pretty well dialed in!

I just thought I'd ask if this was something Weber upgraded recently in this years model? Or if I just got lucky.....?

Last edited:
First, welcome to the forum Myk. It is a great place to learn. My WSM is about 3 years old and my lid thermometer is definately off by 25 to 50 degrees. Some of this probably has to do with placement. I haven't yet checked its accuracy using methods from the site. I am assuming that the location of the lid probe and the location we place our pit probes (on or below the top food grate), has to do with the difference. I think the key is to choose a location to monitor with and stick with that location exclusively. Don't know if any changes were made but have not heard of any.

Also, check this link to learn the best way to post pictures instead of just links. Picture Posting Link

Enjoy the site and keep coming back.

To my question: After the insane amount of research I've done here and around the interwebs, I fully expected to throw out whatever the factory lid thermometer told me due to everyone's complete and total mistrust of it. Problem is, I kept testing it as the cook went on, and it seemed pretty well dialed in!

I just thought I'd ask if this was something Weber upgraded recently in this years model? Or if I just got lucky.....?

it's not that the lid thermometer is inaccurate per se it's that the temperature at the lid isn't the same as it is on the grill. I agree it's usually off by 25 degrees or so than my maverick shows as the temp on my grates. many people don't care and just use the lid thermometer. the only reason personally why I bought a maverick is so I can monitor the temp remotely and don't have to go outside and check it constantly. if you don't mind that you will do fine using the lid temp.

it's not that the lid thermometer is inaccurate per se it's that the temperature at the lid isn't the same as it is on the grill. I agree it's usually off by 25 degrees or so than my maverick shows as the temp on my grates. many people don't care and just use the lid thermometer. the only reason personally why I bought a maverick is so I can monitor the temp remotely and don't have to go outside and check it constantly. if you don't mind that you will do fine using the lid temp.

I have a new 18" and i was also fairly surprised that my lid and maverick are pretty close, i tested the maverick in boiling water so i know thats spot on. I still rely on my maverick but good to know that the lid thermometer is reliable in a pinch.

Welcome to the forum Myk. I can tell you that rarely my lid thermo was fine and read like the grate thermo. Maybe 2/3 times all over my 150 cooks. Please, do not rely on it.

Yeah my lid thermometer usually starts off pretty close at the beginning of my cooks, then after a few hours it's full of moisture and is off by about 20 degrees.

Welcome Myk, congrats on your 22, good choice! I've had no complaints with my lid dial at all, very consistent for me

As long as it works just stick with it. After awhile you wont need a lid or grate or IT meat therm.(for most items):wsm:

Tim

Yeah, I've got my eye set on a Mavrick anyways. I was just curious due to all the negativity the original therm is receiving. My door took a little TLC, but after that it fits pretty tight. First impression of my WSM has been brilliant!

I've got a few racks of spare ribs for this weekend. I'm going to give the BRITU a shot...

Yeah, I've got my eye set on a Mavrick anyways. I was just curious due to all the negativity the original therm is receiving. My door took a little TLC, but after that it fits pretty tight. First impression of my WSM has been brilliant!

I've got a few racks of spare ribs for this weekend. I'm going to give the BRITU a shot...

When you get ready to pull the plug on the thermometer, research the Thermoworks. I'm an ex maverick person and have switched all my thermometers to Thermoworks and I'm much happier. They are a little more pricey, worth it. Not one single ever with them.

When you get ready to pull the plug on the thermometer, research the Thermoworks. I'm an ex maverick person and have switched all my thermometers to Thermoworks and I'm much happier. They are a little more pricey, worth it. Not one single ever with them.

Agree 100% on Thermoworks. I haven't owned a Maverick to compare, but I've been nothing but pleased with my Thermoworks products. I have a Thermopen (instant read thermometer) and the Handheld model 8060 for BBQ temps.

Thermoworks has just introduced a new ThermoQ (model 231-050) but the 8060 is still listed on their website at a pretty good discount.

The only thing some may say is a weakness of the Thermoworks BBQ thermometers vs the Mavericks is that the Thermoworks products are not wireless. Not really an issue for me, but I know it is for some.

Back