Never too late

Jerry N.

TVWBB Emerald Member
The ribs are on. Let belated Smoke Day begin.

Got the 1880 out.

IMG_2016.JPG

Firing it up with some B&B lump that I got on sale at Ace thanks to a heads up from this forum. I light my chimney with some Stubbs briquettes. I like to use briquettes in the chimney. I use the wash bucket to keep my concrete clean and to minimize the wind. It's just higher than the lower section.

IMG_2019.JPG

Add a little hickory and I'm ready to go.

IMG_2020.JPG

Put the ribs on. I roll them. Less clean up. Notice the Smoke transmitter in the upper right. Just got that, thanks to another heads up from this site (Yay! Chris) I got it at 25% off. As I sit here on my computer, I can see the temp is at 277. Perfect. I'm about 50-60 feet away and through a couple of walls. I'd expect no less from ThermoWorks. Puts my old Maverick to shame. Probably eat around 5pm. (5-6 hours on the smoker.)

IMG_2027.JPG

Look at that little guy go! Love the original 14" WSM 1880!
Yeah, it's not pristine, but it works well. I'd probably need to change out the vents and get it tighter in general if I wanted to really control my temps, but I like it as original as possible. Also, I don't find much difference in the temps with BBQ. Anywhere from 250 to 300 and the only difference I notice is the length of the cook.

Back