Need some help please

Rich Dahl

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Well I had a baby Q many moons ago and really hated it. I could smoke a brisket faster than cooking a burger on that grill. Tried everything I could to get it to work finally, sold it. Hasta la bye bye worthless wonder.
Well know that I'm more mellow:LOL: and wanting something to cook small things like burgers, steaks, dogs that's easy to clean and portable and doesn't require charcoal or heating X number of sq. ft. of grill to cook two dogs.
I've been watching this tread and well maybe I might start looking for a used Q for my needs now.
I would humbly request some input from my forum friends as to what size I may need, right now I'm thinking a Q200 would fit the bill, but I'm open to any suggestions.
Thanks Rich.

Last edited:
The Q3xx might be your best bet if you want to do stuff like briskets. Not only do you have the extra room, but with double burners, you have a lot more control of temps. Then you have the option to cook for two or cook for six.

Honestly Rich, my buddy bought a little 1200 when he bought his camper and I have cooked steaks on it. It does a great job. Maybe yours had something wrong?

I have a Q100 for my camper as well. I used to have one on my back deck before I switched to the Q200. I never had any problem with it in 7 or 8 years. I did put new grates on it, but other than a cleaning a couple times a year, it was a work horse.

The Q 200 I just picked up was perfect for my family of 4 dinner last night. Cooked up 8 burgers and had room to toast 4 buns. Perfect little grill for burgers and dogs. I ordered the parts to delete the Weber regulator to just run off a bulk tank.

Depends on what you want to do:
If it's 2 hot dogs or cooking for two then a Q1xxx
Family of 4, then Q2xxx
I bet startup for either Q1 or Q2 will be about the same
Plan on cooking for for more than 4 or parties, Q3xxx

I have a Q220 and family of 4. Like Branden said it will easily cook 8 burgers and 4 buns. For parties I cook in batches which is no problem as the first of food is being eaten, the next batch is on the grill.

The right tool for the job makes it so much easier :)

Honestly Rich, my buddy bought a little 1200 when he bought his camper and I have cooked steaks on it. It does a great job. Maybe yours had something wrong?
It might have been pilot error or a mechanical problem. That was when I was just getting started and still didn't have Weberitis. More than likely it was the regulator going south. It did it with the small bottle and the 20# tank. It almost always would fire up great and then start losing temps as the cook progressed.

Thanks for the input guys. I'll have to take a look see at the size differences. I know a Q3 will be way bigger than what I need. I remember (barley) that the baby Q was a little smaller than I wanted but the price was right...Free.
Better to have a little extra room than not enough.

Thanks for the input guys. I'll have to take a look see at the size differences. I know a Q3 will be way bigger than what I need. I remember (barley) that the baby Q was a little smaller than I wanted but the price was right...Free.
Better to have a little extra room than not enough.

My extended family and I have several Q’s and the consensus is that the Q120 gets hotter than the Q220. Not sure this applies to the Q1200/2200 series but thought I would put that out there if you were shopping used and size versus BTU’s were an issue.
As for your issue of it losing heat, the Q relies a lot in that CI grate getting hot and giving the sear. If you fill the whole grate, when you flip the meat there is not enough heat left in the grate to get a sear on the other side. I only fill half the grate and then flip to the other half for the second side. Works for me. 🙂

My extended family and I have several Q’s and the consensus is that the Q120 gets hotter than the Q220. Not sure this applies to the Q1200/2200 series but thought I would put that out there if you were shopping used and size versus BTU’s were an issue.
As for your issue of it losing heat, the Q relies a lot in that CI grate getting hot and giving the sear. If you fill the whole grate, when you flip the meat there is not enough heat left in the grate to get a sear on the other side. I only fill half the grate and then flip to the other half for the second side. Works for me. 🙂
Thanks Richard, good information I'll keep that in mind on my hunt for a Q.

Rich,
Late to this party...I personally like the 220/2200 the best. I think the extra to get a thermometer and higher lid is worth it vs. the 200/2000. This size is a nice compromise between its bigger and smaller brethren. Enough extra room to be more versatile but still portable. The big Q is a great grill ,and for people who don't do low and slow or rotisserie, it is actually in my opinion a worthy alternative to a Genesis. The 300/3200 truthfully has almost as much grill space!

Some say the 220/2200 is a little under-powered when you compare btu vs square inches to the 100/1000 series. I think it can do just fine, and for whatever reason I found it to be more enjoyable to cook on then the 3200 I had for a while. I gave my last 2200 away to someone in Florida. I had picked up a 1000 before I left to flip, but with most of my grill stuff still down south it is currently pinch hitting for us here in Indiana as a daily driver. A little small but also a very nice cooker.

Sorry for rambling. Don't know if anything I said helps, but these are my experiences. My final vote is for a Q2200.

I agree with Jon. The Q200-2000 is a great size grill. I had a Q200 that was my one and only cooker for 4-5 years. You can fit a surprisingly large amount of burgers on the 200. Not many moving parts to the grill either. Burner tube is very cheap and easy to replace. Grates are about $40-50 unless you want SS.

I've currently got a Q320 as my one and only gas grill. Upgraded from a Q200 mainly because I found the 320 for $50 and it was in good enough shape. New igniter and burner tubes and I was cooking. Painted the lid on the Q200 and sold for $125!

We have a Q100. Got to be close to 10 years old. Wish I had the money that that thing has cooked. Just the two of us so plenty of room. Just cooked two bone in pork chops on it.

I really love our Q220! It’s over ten ten years old and has been with me through thick and thin. I chose the Q220 for the medium size, higher lid and thermometer. When I bought a new house, I was subsequently destitute and the Q220 became my everything grill for a couple of years. It never disappointed. Sadly, I got a bad propane fill once and it wrecked the regulator. So that and a new igniter that rusted out are all it’s ever required. We still use it camping!

Thanks again for the input, so far I've found a Q100 up here and a couple of 200/2000 down in Phoenix (200 mile RT). The hunt continues.

Back