Need smoking tips for Wild Hog Ham

DavidD

TVWBB Super Fan
I just harvested a 105 lb wild hog (sow) and wanted to try the hams in a smoker tomorrow and need your help. I will post separately about the smoker that I have (you'll hate it) b/c i borrowed it and don't know how to use it (charbroil H20 smoker).

anyway, i pulled the rear ham, bone in, and have it marinating in Italian salad dressing. The ham, which includes the bone, weighs 6 lbs. Has anyone smoked wild hog? Do you think it will come out ok?

Can you offer some suggestions on smoking, how long, any tips are appreciated. Pls see my post on the charbroil too.

I'm guessing at only 6 lbs you've removed the skin? I usually don't if I have a choice (I score in a crosshatch) but it's fine if you do.

I brine for 2-3 days (I'd go a full day for one that small though). It's not likel the marinade will penetrate very far but you can leave as-is and go from there or switch to a flavor brine.

I smoke-roast hams, domestic or wild, which means I am smoking at ~325--and I only take them to 150 max internal; 30 min rest, then slice. (Make a sauce with a fruit component.) You can take domestic hams higher (I never do) but I do not recommend going that high with the leaner wild cuts.

how long do you think it will take? why long low and slow for 6 hours or so? will this meat be excellent or only so so? I have the backstrap for tonight. Will the front shoulders be better than the hams? i thought the hams would be best, second to the backstrap.

I want to make sure this comes out good or my wife will never eat it again.

It will not take long if you cook at ~325 to a low internal. I do 18-pounders in ~7 hours (I start them at 400+ and then lower the temp); a 6 will take far less, probably around 2 hours, give or take. Again, I don't recommend pushing the internal higher as the ham is lean. The shoulder, while leaner than a domestic one, will be less lean than the ham.

As far as the flavor goes it largely depend on the diet of the sow. It's good to add to or enhance any natural sweetness in the meat. I like a onion-Dijon sauce with thyme, wine, stock and fruit, often sour cherries or pineapple, guava or mango.

Back