Need help - I've lost my water pan and can't get up

Brett Grant

TVWBB Fan
I am in the process of moving from Tucson to Seattle. I just drove up with my 22.5 WSM in the back of van. When I unpacked it, I realized that I left the water pan back in Tucson. I am supposed to smoke something for the 24th, so I don't have much time.

Does anyone know of a store in the Seattle area that might stock some parts like that water pan?

I am also thinking of going the clay saucer route, but I have only really seen that done with 18.5's. Do people do that with 22.5's? Where is a good place to get a saucer, and what size should I look for?

I've never really ordered parts from a store before. The one time I had an issue I called weber and they sent the part to me. Does anyone know of stores in the Seattle area that would order parts, or do I have a better chance ordering from weber?

I am racked with indecision at the moment.

Thanks,
Brett

I would call Weber now and get a water pan sent to you. They are pretty good about getting things sent quick, but this late in the day, it might not go out until Monday. As for the saucer, I use one in my 22. I got it at Home Depot in the garden department. Just get the plain Terra Cotta orange one, wrap it in foil a couple times, and put it in your new (wrapped) water pan.

You cook smoke it w/o the water pan. I've been doing that more often lately. I have one bottom vent open and the top. That's about all you need. What are you cooking on the 24th?

You cook smoke it w/o the water pan. I've been doing that more often lately. I have one bottom vent open and the top. That's about all you need. What are you cooking on the 24th?

So you do everything the same, just no pan? I thought that the pan would at least diffuse the heat so that it isn't direct.

Thanks for all of the responses. I feel stupid buying a new pan when I have a perfectly good pan down in Tucson. I think that I will head off to a hardware/garden store to find a clay plate. Failing that, I will get a bowl or try the no plate system.

I haven't decided what to smoke. We are having guests that don't eat pork, so that is out.

I was thinking of a brisket, which might be ok with no plate if I do high heat.
maybe turkey
maybe chickens
I would like to do lamb, but wife doesn't like that
Possibly tri-tip. I've got to go to the store and see what is available here. Most of my knowledge is where to go in Tucson. Its been 15 years since I lived in Seattle, and while some is the same, a lot has changed.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.
Brett

Brett i took the water pan out of my WSM years & years ago theres no need for it to me,When i do turkeys i just set a drip pan on the second grate with some liqued so the drippings don't burn for making gravy.

Lots of people cook without the pan at least occasionally. I usually cook chicken that way. If you don't need the lower rack you could put wrap it in foil and have an effective diffuser. Sit a metal bowl on the rack to catch drippings if you feel the need.

So I wasn't able to find a clay saucer or metal bowl. I found 2 pizza pans with handles. The pans were 16", but the handle stuck out far enough to span the 19" between supports.

Cooking chicken right now.

Brett;
Check out the Hot and Fast Chicken here:

http://virtualweberbullet.com/chicken4.html

I've been cooking chicken this way (works perfectly in the 18.5, 14.5 and Mini-Joe by my hand) for some time and have NEVER had better chicken. I use a meat tenderizer tool to perforate the skin and down into the meat a bit, then brine, and marinate, then "grill" on the Weber WSM. I flip at 30-35 minutes and start applying BBQ sauce a few minutes before it is done to set the sauce. Ummm-mmm Good!

Note: This is on topic as no water pan is used. I let the chicken drip into the fire bathing the chicken with vaporized juices.

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Back