Need a Texas Style (No Beans) chili recipe for 50 - 100

Pat Smith

TVWBB Wizard
Folks - I have an engagement to cook chili for our company's fall cookout later in the month and I want to smoke a couple of briskets to use in the chili.

I need to be able to scale the recipe from 50 - 150 folks depending on the number of folks who RSVP.

Can somebody help a brother out with a recipe or some suggestions? Most of the recipes I've found are small scale and I don't trust the ratios to ramp up to the size of cook we're talking about.

Thanks!

Pat

Kevin - I am planning to use brisket. I'll smoke it beforehand then incorporate it into the chili.

Thank you,

Pat

If either this or this is of interest, or anything similar or any derivation, let me know and I can figure out the quantities for you.

Kevin - you are wonderful! Thank you very much.

The first recipe looks fantastic, and I think I can get the correct chile's even in the virtual chile waste land that is Central Alabama.

If you don't mind helping with the scaling, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you again, so very much!

Pat

Oh, yes, I also need to know if you want to use whole briskets (packers) that you've smoked in advance or...?

Kevin - absolutely! Thank you!

I plan to use brisket flats (about 8 lbs each) that I will smoke this weekend. The chili cook is on Tuesday.

Thank you so much.

Pat

Using the recipe at the link upthread, the ingredients for about 50-70 servings, depending on serving size:

20 lbs raw brisket

20 onions 1/2 cup olive oil

3 T salt

1 cup cheap white wine

40 chile peppers (use a mix of Ancho and NM or guajillo)

2 cans low-salt chicken stock

1 head garlic, cloves separated, peeled, minced or pressed

1.5 inches of a ginger knob, peeled, minced

3 tablespoons cumin

5 beers

2 28-oz cans diced tomatoes in juice

3 small cans (about 7-oz each I think) pineapple tidbits in juice

about 1/4 cup sugar, max

Smoke the brisket to an internal of 160. Remove, cool, dice well, then proceed with the recipe.

It may be helpful to divide the recipe in half and use two pots to cook it in.

If you need more liquid for the chile purée after using the stock, add water.

Adjust salt, pepper and cumin at the end of cooking.

Kevin - you've been a hero ever since I showed up on the board a couple of years ago - now more so than ever.

Thank you so very much!

Pat

Why would you use brisket for this recipe? Couldn't you use chuck (pot roast) and do it for about half the cost? You could still smoke it to 160 and then proceed as in the recipe above.

Couldn't you use chuck (pot roast) and do it for about half the cost?
Meat prices vary by region. In my area I can purchase whole packer briskets for $1.89/lb. Chuck runs in the neighborhood of $3.75/lb.

Kevin - the chili was fantastic! We ran through the entire making in about 90 minutes. The taste was rich and meaty, with some hints of flavoring folks loved but couldn't figure out.

This is a definite do again!

Thank you again!

Pat

Back