Neapolitan pizza 🍕 dough, old school style

Heat looks good, Brett....nice color on the bottom. Nice puff on the cornicione, too. Looking forward to seeing how the rest of them go.....the first pie for me is always not quite what I want.....which probably means I need to slow my roll on timing for launching it! :)

R

I think the Costco one is galbani? I can check next time I buy it. I’ve used different brands in the past and that composition/style is consistently the same across many brands.

Now fresh mozz is very different. The key component here is the low moisture. Too much moisture and your pizza shell will be soggy on top and cooked on the bottom.

My wife had fresh sliced tomatoes on her pizza and it was too much moisture. I should have oven dried the slices before using them.

Galbani is the brand at Costco Folsom in the last month or so. 2 lb blocks.

View attachment 50924
i think what i used last night was whole milk and not part skim. i'll have to ask in my house where we bought it from. might have been winco.

the only time i use fresh mozz (costco sells this too), is when i want to mix in some fresh and the low moisture. it creates a nice texture and flavor. again, you have to use very little fresh mozz, and especially if you're making Neapolitan which traditionally does use FRESH MOZZ only but in very sparing amounts.

there was once a brand of low moisture (like shown in Dan's pic, but not that brand) i used and it was plasticky when it melted. it was weird, for sure. so i would recco you taste and eat the cheese uncooked before you commit to a new brand or if you're new to pizza making. i'd say the plasticky thing was a very rare instance, but it's better to be sure than take all your time making a pie and the cheese is what lets you down.

note, i never use pre shredded cheese from the store. those products have cellulose or potato starch on the cheese to stop the shreds from clumping or sticking in the bag. cellulose is usually a wood byproduct that is food grade but i'm not into eating wood.

Back