Natural Gas to Propane Conversion

Jeff-L

My brother game me his 11 year old summit. It is set up for natural gas. I bought propane orifices from bbqfuelconversions. I removed the natural gas regulator and installed a new hose propane regulator with the orifices. The flame has very little to no adjustment no matter where I turn the knob. I tried moving the air shutter and that did nothing. Is there something else I can try to adjust on each valve? Do I have to buy a new manifold. Thanks

Last edited:
First off the air shutters don't care what gas is moving through there. Next is trusting those thieves to actually have sent you proper parts. Third is my experience with the Summit models is limited. But, I recall when I did my brother's grill there is not much if any VISIBLE flame differences low to high but there IS a temp difference.
When I see people doing this stuff I get nervous

All 6 burners on low for 30 min...45 degrees ambient temp. And all 6 burners on high for 30 min.

Attachments

• 20210228_113325.jpg
    20210228_113325.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 20210228_111242.jpg
    20210228_111242.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 4
I am guessing you posted those photos backwards as the second one is "lower" than the first. But, yah, I would say you have an issue there. Seems the valves are not compatible with LP.

I am experiencing the same with my 670S conversion, any resolution for anyone? I bought my orifices from Grill Repair.com/Majestic Parts/Jason. I know there were a few old threads related to this as well with no final resolution. Also my Rotisserie will burn for a few minutes and then blow out and only burn from the back of the panel?

I had to get a completely new natural gas manifold..wierd thing is the valves on the propane and new ng manifold were marked with the same numbers. They must make some kind of internal adjustment..

Thanks, Hoping there was a better option since the folks at Grill Repair.com made it sound straight forward.............

I think 95 % are easy and quick with the orifice change.. for whatever reason we must have something up with our manifold. Mine had no adjustment with the flame.. just on and off.

It has to do with the valve they used. Some valves are not compatible with a simple orifice swap. That is why I always recommend a complete manifold swap when changing from LP to NG or vice versa.

Do you mean there are several versions of the Flame Thrower valve? Thanks
Weber has some very different versions of every valve they use. When used with the gas it's meant for you see no outward difference in performance or operation BUT when NOT used with the called for fuel you can run into some very weird rabbit holes. It's why we tried to do a whole huge write up on just this. Weber unlike most other appliance makers only specifies how much fuel passes through at any given setting with any given gas. I have seen at least 4 different variations of valve on the same exact models. So unless you REALLY know what you're doing and how to properly calculate gas flow you cannot convert a Weber for the most part. The companies that say "oh simple just buy our "kit" are blowing smoke up your proverbial backside. I have done many of them for myself, friends and family but sometimes even knowing what I know I have to resort to an entire manifold

Back